StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I just got my bike back from the dealer today. They replaced the clutch basket at 17,229 miles and now the bike runs great. I had the ugly vibes every time the motor passed through 2800 rpms since day 1 which was April 27, 2002. The bike now pulls as smoothly from a stop as any big v-twin I've ever ridden. 6th gear is still not made to run under 4000 rpms but all the other gears are great from 2800 rpms and up. Although the motor still shouldn't be pushed hard at 2800 rpms.

If you are having problems write to Suzuki with all your bike's info and let them know. It took me over a year to get it fixed but the bike now runs the way I thought it should when I bought it. The bike is now a definet keeper.

Dave

B

·
0 Posts
Howboucha Dave!
Thanks for the tip. May I be so bold to ask if it was covered 100% If not any details on what you had to do to get it done would be greatly appreciated. I need a new basket and I am at 17K.
Brendan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the 3 year extended warranty so it was completely covered. I sure wish I would have left the bike at the dealer a lot earlier and made them store it until it was fixed. Unfortunately I never got anything written down on a work order although one dealer did try to figure out what was wrong with it so it was supposely on record. Plus I had complained to Suzuki customer service a couple of times so I think I still could have gotten them to pay for it.

F

·
0 Posts
Hey what's this clutch basket problems I've been reading about? I'm about to buy my first bike in two weeks. I just want to know what i need to look for if my 03 bike has clutch problems or what shifting problems will have?

And what is Chudder?

Laxson OUT

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch basket repair

Hi

I wouldn't worry about it too much especially if you have a good dealer. Most bikes run great but some of them have had a bad vibration somewhere in the rpm range. Mine was a real rough spot at about 2700 rpms. It was from day one and was really bad when I was accelerating up a hill, on level ground it wasn't as bad. I didn't have it replaced until I had over 17,000 miles on the bike. It took Suzuki and my dealer some time to figure it out but once they did it was fixed within a month. I didn't really push too hard to get it fixed and the problem if it exists will not leave you stranded anywhere. I have got 3000 miles on the new basket and the bike is running great. I now wished I had push for the repair sooner as I missed out on the first 17000 miles of really enjoying the bike. If you can test ride the bike before you buy it you should be able to tell somewhat if it might have any problems. The bike should accelerate fairly smooth, there will be some v-twin firing pulses that you will feel this motor is not as smooth as an in-line 4 but it is pretty close. The bike can be sensitive to unsycn'd throttle bodies but it can be adjusted. I paid extra for the extended warranty as I keep and put a lot of miles on my bikes. This bike has been the most comfortable and fun bike to ride as I've ever had.

Good luck
Dave

B

·
0 Posts
I'm also getting a new Strom when the 04's arrive. What is the cost of the 3 year extended warranty, and do they offer other warranty packages. I've been debating whether to go with the extra warranty or not. I'm hoping the clutch problem is fixed in the 04 models, but it doesn't sound like it's a big deal if you have a good dealer. I'm definately going to mention it to the dealer before I buy, so they are aware of it if I have a problem.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm also getting a new Strom when the 04's arrive. What is the cost of the 3 year extended warranty, and do they offer other warranty packages. I've been debating whether to go with the extra warranty or not. I'm hoping the clutch problem is fixed in the 04 models, but it doesn't sound like it's a big deal if you have a good dealer. I'm definately going to mention it to the dealer before I buy, so they are aware of it if I have a problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clutch basket repair

Mine was the Suzuki extended protection I don't think I'd buy anything else. Zero deductable, no mileage limitation, transportation reimbursement, rental vehicle reimbursement, toll-free assistance and transferable. It cost me $468.00 but if I was any good at haggling I could have gotten it for less. It is a 3 year extension.

B

·
0 Posts
Basket!

just got bike back from dealers after having modified clutch basket fitted! will post later to confirm, but bike does feel a lil smoother!

Question : i'm having Suzuki take a look at my front header pipe! this looks like it wont take another British winter! anyone else had a warranty claim for this?

R

·
0 Posts
Appt a week from Wednesday

My 03 has 11k miles on it now and while I have always had a mild (compared to what has been described here) idle knock/chudder...etc my warranty runs out next month. I didn't buy the extended one.

Also it seems to be getting worse with mileage/time. So, I made an appt with the Suzi store. First available is a week from Wednesday which is 2/25.

Being a pessimist at heart, I expect the dealer to tell me "it's normal...they all do that...etc" but maybe I'll get lucky.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

R

·
0 Posts
parts on order

I trailered the Strom in, this morning, just before the snow started. Service guy asked what the problem was and when I told him about the noise he just said "give me ten days to get parts...etc. I'll call you when it is done."

I was pleasantly surprised.

He also asked me if I knew about the problem due to the info on the Internet.

R

·
0 Posts
no more "chudder"

Add me to the list of satisfied clutch basket people. Got the bike back yesterday and rode it about 60 miles. I even took it off road for a ways!
Still a little too muddy around here though.

Overall vibration is about the same but that annoying band between 3-4k rpm is gone. There is still a little noise at idle but less than before.

Mine is an early 03.

T

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know when they started producing bikes with the new clutch basket? I just picked up a new 03 last week and it was manufactured 01/03. I have only been able to put 25 miles on it due to the weather but I do notice vibration/noise from the clutch when it is idling in neutral. The noise goes away when I disengage the clutch. Does this sound like the same problem or is it only noticable when riding?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told by my dealer that early 03 models had the old (bad) clutch basket. I recently had it replaced under warranty. Suzuki first had my dealer check the throttle body synch, which was perfect, before allowing the dealer to go ahead with the clutch basket replacement. It helped the 3-4000 rpm vibration, but did not completely cure the problem. At least I won't worry as much about the clutch falling apart when the bike goes out of warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts