StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still waiting for my Service Manual to arrive, but would really like to put the clutch back in.....could some kind soul tell me what the torque value is for this nut? I think it is 105 ft lbs, just not sure.

Appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but that is a 2nd Gen, I have a 1st Gen, have no idea if they are the same value or not.
I did further searching, came across one guy that said it was 150 N-M, which is about 110 ft lb...so I have three values now, 105, 108.5, 110....all close.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a link to a table on the V-Strom International site, it also has 150 N M and 108.5 ft lb for the 1st Gen. Would still appreciate if someone will verify this value for me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,802 Posts
Any of those values will work! Most don't get torqued anyway. The flange nut you are torquing gets peened down into the splines on the input shaft, so it isn't going to come loose if close to proper torque. Not a lot of load on that, it is big only because it has to go over the transmission input shaft.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Torqued to 108 ft lb. Thanks Terry; got the Werks basket installed. Did notice it was a lot more difficult to install the Werks basket than the one I took off as your basket has zero, nada, zeltch slop....SO unlike the one I removed and sent to you.
Looking forward to a nice ride soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sort of related. I am going to swap in an SV clutch in my 2007 DL1k. I had the impression that this would be a straightforward swap and the manual will be valid. But then I saw a reference on another thread that suggested the hub nut torque for the SV basket is quite different. So I am now searching threads for more information.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,802 Posts
Sort of related. I am going to swap in an SV clutch in my 2007 DL1k. I had the impression that this would be a straightforward swap and the manual will be valid. But then I saw a reference on another thread that suggested the hub nut torque for the SV basket is quite different. So I am now searching threads for more information.
Yes, the factory SV manual says 68.5 lbs. ft. Quite a lot lower than the DL at 105 lbs. ft.
Same exact nut. Same exact transmission input shaft it goes on. Serves the exact same purpose ( holds the inner hub from moving in/out on the shaft).
Since both are locked by peening down the flange into the groove on the input shaft, it may not matter. Just another example where a manual may be misleading. Cannot say for sure, but I have no idea why the SV is that much lower in torque value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Much thanks for that info realshelby! My next question was going to be the torque value. I'll probably just split the difference, lol. Why the two models are so different with same parts defies explanation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts