StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 650 Wee and am planning an Alaskan trip in the future. I've heard of some potential issues with both the clutch and kickstand engine disconnects. Instead of waiting until I have a problem....especially on a long trip, is it possible to over-ride of disconnect these systems?? I'm sure they are only there for liability reasons and I'm confident after many years of riding that I can take care of myself when it comes to starting the bike with or without the clutch engaged and in gear, or with the kickstand up or down without hurting myself. Anyone with any experience here?? Would a dealer do the work or would they have the same liability concerns?? Thanks much.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The side stand wires can be jumpered. Jumpering the clutch switch wires in a 2007 or later Wee causes idling problems and the engine will tend to die if not given extra throttle. Carry some wire, tools and tape to bypass a broken clutch switch to limp home but don't do it ahead of time. 2009 and later Wees have beefier clutch switches. http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...double-checking-dl650a-2011-handguards-2.html

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
I doubt the dealer would side step a safety device. You, however, are welcome to. Motorcycles went many long time before the lawyers got involved and the safety factors reared their ugly heads.

·
Registered
353 Posts
sidestand switch mixed bag

I understand why it is there (years ago left one down on old triumph and that was way out there and not hard to move in during the first turn)

Other night I swiped the stand back with my foot, started the bike, and then when I went to go it lurched me out into the traffic lane and died. turns out the stand did not retract enough I guess. But no way I had time to figure that and restart with traffic coming. That was not comfortable trying to grab clutch and back up.

I am not sure what is worse that event or the kickstand down (guess I need to look at my kickstand lube - I had greased it and spring)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts