StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys need to adjust my clutch lever as its too far out qhen reaching for it. What i am wanting to know is the adjuster part way down the clutch cable has a lock nut and a long hex shaft onto a long thread. Do i wind the the hex down the the thread towards the floor clockwise or wind it up away from the floor anticlockwise. Hope i explained what I'm trying to do ok.

·
Registered
937 Posts
That adjustment controls cable free play. If you have too little free play it's like "riding" the clutch, too much free play and the clutch won't fully disengage. The reach to the lever, unlike the brake lever, is not adjustable. There are aftermarket options, but be careful as some of them don't properly mate with the clutch safety switch when starting.

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm wanting to do is adjust the bite point of the clutch so it engages sooner. Just not sure which way to turn the adjuster.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's what I'm wanting to do is adjust the bite point of the clutch so it engages sooner. Just not sure which way to turn the adjuster.
I am wondering the same thing, not sure which way to turn the adjuster part way down the cable, or the one right at the point where the cable meets the lever with the big wheel adjuster on it, my gearshift isn't as smooth as it used to be.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Making the outer cable "longer" will put the engagement point further away from the grip and making it "shorter" will put it closer to the grip but the lower adjuster is the true adjustment point.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The spec is 10-15 mm of movement at the end of the lever, which way to turn the adjuster depends on whether there is too much or too little play. Once you start turning you will see right away if it's getting tighter or looser. Either adjuster can be used. Best to turn each one a little than only one of them a lot.

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
How many miles are on your Weestrom willwoms? When I was having difficulty making smooth shifts I found the cure to be not adjusting the cable but adjusting the clutch itself - however for you that will entail draining the oil and removing the clutch cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always go with the tried and true "try it and see." Went in the opposite intended direction? Double back!

That being said.... I've noticed lately while doing test rides that a LOT of bikes seem to have a lot of play before the clutch engages. Am I more abnormal in liking it to catch earlier?

Ah well... in the end, it's just getting used to it, really.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Anyone had the ball and cable fail on the engine side of the motor yet?

I usually hit the area with grease. Broken clutch cables are no fun. DAMHIK. :wink2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
How many miles are on your Weestrom willwoms? When I was having difficulty making smooth shifts I found the cure to be not adjusting the cable but adjusting the clutch itself - however for you that will entail draining the oil and removing the clutch cover.
Hey Brockie, I have a 2017 Vstrom 650 that has difficulty shifting from first to second gear... I tried adjusting the cable but it did not solve the problem. I watched videos and realized that I need to adjust the clutch itself, but my model (2017) is different from older models and when I removed the cover there was no clutch adjustment like on older models. Do you have some pics or links to the resource that will explain how to do it?

Many Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
Hey Brockie, I have a 2017 Vstrom 650 that has difficulty shifting from first to second gear... I tried adjusting the cable but it did not solve the problem. I watched videos and realized that I need to adjust the clutch itself, but my model (2017) is different from older models and when I removed the cover there was no clutch adjustment like on older models. Do you have some pics or links to the resource that will explain how to do it?

Many Thanks!
Here you go. The adjuster is inside your clutch cover RH side of the engine. Up to 2011 this adjuster was a simple screw and locknut at the end of the clutch cable - but it got moved in 2012. You loosen the locknut, screw the adjuster in until it touches, unscrew it one full turn and then retighten the lock nut. Getting to the adjuster is a big job. Check out this thread.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/199937-2012-dl650-clutch-adjustment.html

How many miles has your V-Strom done?? Unless you are especially hard on using the clutch, slipping it a lot, a clutch adjustment is usually not necessary for at least 20,000 miles, despite what the book says. Sometimes different brands of 10W-40 oils can seriously affect clutch stiction.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts

Many Thanks!
This sounds like a shifter adjustment needed to me, nothing with the clutch.

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
Sometimes some brands of oil can make shifting when cold more clunky but usually difficult shifting, especially first to second, is always made better after a clutch adjustment.

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
Good job. :grin2:
When the plates are worn/compressed adjusting just the cable does not bring things back to spec. I have experienced greatly improved gear changing ease as a result of adjusting the clutch, as well as the clutch cable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts