StromTrooper banner

Clutch adjustment question

9985 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  V-Tom
I have approx 12000 mi on my bike and adjusted the clutch pushrod per the mainual. Before doing do, I set the cable adjuster all the way in at the lever as directed. After adjusting push rod, I attempted to adjust the cable via the adjusters under the sprocket cover so that about 1/2" play at the lever. The problem (maybe not) is that the adjuster is almost fully at the extreme "tightening" end - and I still have more than 1/2" free play at the lever. The only way to get tighter is at the lever adjustment. I was wondering if this is normal?

Thanks for any info.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
There is a cable adjuster at each end of the cable.

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
Greywolf - Do you mean that if I follow the cable from the clutch-lever, I will find a cable-adjuster similar to the one under the sprocke cover?

Thanks - Mike
There are two adjusters.. on is at the clutch lever end, he other is at the sprocket cover.

If you have both adjusted both ends and still have too much slack the next question would be: "did you have the clutch actuator out?" If so, you may have put it in 90 degrees off from where it should be. take it out and rotate it 90 degrees and that should take care of the issue.

..Tom

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'm reading the manual and interpreting it too narrowly. The manual implies that with the adjuster at the lever all the way in, I should be able to get the 1/2" free-play by adjusting only the one under the sprocket.

I need to make a few turns at the lever adjuster to get it right. So I guess I'm okay.

Thanks -Mike

38,702 Posts
There is one clutch adjuster, the snail cam #4 with lock nut #3 to hold the adjustment in place once #4 is one quarter turn off contact with the clutch pushrod. Numbers 5 and 6 are clutch cable adjusters that work in concert with the similar adjuster at the clutch lever. All need to be accounted for.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. Excellent forum this is....

GW - Just thought it was odd that on my bike the cable adj shown in the diagram is all the way at the "tight" extreme with the one at the lever set all the way in - and still needed more than "minor" (subjective on my part - and not even mentioned in the shop manual) adjustment at the lever to get the 1/2" free play.

38,702 Posts
The tight extreme is not normal.

· Registered
212 Posts
From info I've seen, the service manual is incorrect in it's instructions.
Loosen adjusting screw #4 out a few turns. Slowly turn screw until it FIRST MAKES CONTACT (NOT until it stops as the manual says) then back out 1/4 turn and tighten locknut.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually redid the whole adjustment last night. Using a light touch, I turned the pushrod until it made contact and backed out 90 degrees.

With the adjuster at the lever all the way in, I still get the adjuster under the sprocket cover near the extreme "tight" end - but a bit less extreme than when I did it the first time - it now has about 1/8" of threads showing at the end of the adjuster.

I was also thinking that the manual might not be accurate/clear: - that the adjuster a the lever doesn't have to be at it's extreme "loose" position to get the 1/2" free-play....

38,702 Posts
Simply set the adjusters at each end of the cable such that each is occupying a decent number of threads. You don't want to put either at an extreme.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Periodically clean the clutch pushrod and the inside of the "screw assembly," the part that GW calls the snail cam, and looks like a conical helix to me, behind #3 & #4 on his pic. Put some light grease on the parts. Cleaning everything under the front sprocket cover maybe every oil change isn't a bad idea. Take a look at the condition of the clutch cable as well.

The amount of free play in the clutch lever somewhat depends on what feels good to you. If you have small hands, clutch engagement closer to the grip might work better. As long as the clutch has both 100% engagement when released and 100% disengagement when squeezed, it's good.

· Registered
353 Posts
new clutch cable already at end of adjustment

I replaced clutch cable on 2007 DL650 recently with Suzuki part #58200-27G00. I noticed when I put new cable on it was almost to the end of adjustment (both adjuster ends turned out) when new. This surprised me as never seen this before on my other bikes. My original cable was similar but maybe even slight bit more adjustment available, and starting to stretch more and would have failed as I found it had couple of cable strands broken.

I am wondering where this leaves me if I need adjustment in future. Clutch works fine with bike at 32k miles and screw at rod end adjusted ¼ turn per spec. I decided to go with the Suzuki part because similar price to motion pro and figured would be best fit. I am now thinking of ordering another cable as spare but wonder about lack of adjustment in Suzuki part and whether motion pro would be better for me.

Only other thing I can think of is the clutch actuator gear, but as I recall the spring and assembly seem to fit on only one way. Thought I’d ask first it anyone else experience this, or thoughts on my cable setup before going back in to look at that.

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
Marku: check if the lever that the end of the clutch cable attaches to is loose on the actuation mechanism. If so you might find the little spot weld that secures it has broken. I had that happen on my 2006 and a replacement was relatively inexpensive. I think it happened at around 100,000 km but not sure.

..Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.