StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just wanting to know if my clutch actuator on my 2004 Suzuki V Strom 650 has too much play. Please see the Youtube video I took, link is below.

Also, It seems when I ride on hot days and the bike is hot, the free play begins to become more. I know there is no hydraulic clutch fluid because of the cable driven clutch so how could this be? Could that be a sign of a clutch going bad or my clutch adjustment being off?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so it won’t let me post a link because I haven’t posted enough threads so i’m not sure if I could message someone personally or gets somones email/phone number. Just let me know

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
When you are working with the actuator (in the housing where the front sprocket lives) check the lever that the lower end of the clutch cable is attched to. On my 2006 the spot weld that held the lever firm broke.

..Tom

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found your YouTube video. I just searched for "Suzuki V Strom clutch actuator play" and it came right up.

It's normal for there to be some wiggle in the interior part of the clutch actuator. Yours might be a bit looser than typical, but I doubt it's too far gone to get the clutch adjusted properly.

There are two settings involved in adjusting the clutch, and they interact with each other: the slack at the hand lever and the depth of the screw in the center of the actuator.

The gist of the procedure is this:

1. At the hand lever, adjust the cable to provide lots of slack. Max it out.

2. At the clutch actuator, first loosen the nut surrounding the screw, then rotate the screw so that it's a quarter turn counterclockwise (loosened) from the position where it was when it stopped as you turned it clockwise. Retighten the nut that surrounds the screw.

3. Adjust the cable so that when you squeeze the hand lever, there's about a half inch of movement before you feel resistance, that is, before you begin to disengage the clutch. The manual says to adjust the cable at the end near the actuator, but it's not uncommon for there to be inadequate adjustment range available there, so it's necessary to take up the slack at the hand lever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of the replies, I have followed the procedure to adjust the clutch but worry that my half inch of play is just the actuator "play" and not actually a half inch of disengagement. I was thinking it might have something to do with why it slackens more on a real hot day. I have adjusted the clutch again and it is feeling good. I appreciate you all looking at the video and just helping to confirm that the actuator looks ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts