StromTrooper banner

Clutch �sticking� when up-shifting

1392 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  norelad
Clutch “sticking” when up-shifting

DL1000K9 with 60000klm on it - Clutch “sticking” when up-shifting – it does not want to disengage, even worst if I am heavy with the right hand
Pull hard on the clutch and no matter how many times I lift the gear lever it will not shift.
If I shift as I pull in the lever it will work i.e. whilst the clutch is still partially engaged
Mostly in the lower gears. And no problem at all on the down-shift
It appears to be getting worst Managed to get it home (after a 2000k ride over 4 days) and now its in my garage - where do I begin?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,932 Posts
As long as the clutch is not slipping, you can figure it is something in the release mechanism causing your symptom. Which is not at all uncommon for a hydraulic system. Very little goes wrong with the clutch basket, hub, plates, etc on these bikes so I doubt you have an internal problem.

First thing is to check the level of fluid in your clutch master cylinder.

Low? Fill it up to check it, or better yet just go to the next paragraph.

Full? If so, pop the top of the reservoir and see how dirty it is. My bet is that removing the fluid from the master cylinder and the refilling it with fresh fluid followed by a proper bleeding on the slave cylinder end will net a positive result. While down there make sure the 3 bolts holding the slave cylinder are snug.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast replys I will head into town and grab some new fluid and try your suggestions (might have to get a turkey baster - I think the boss would be upset if I raid the kitchen)
I will let you know the results

· Registered
14 Posts
Are you sure you are letting the shift lever fully return to it's center position after upshifting??? Sometimes I get a lazy foot and it will do exactly as you are describing. You won't generally have this problem on downshift.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed

changed the clutch fluid - completely - it was "murky" when I drained it
PS no turkey baster but connected a piece of tube to a large syringe to suck it out and it also works a treat when you are bleeding as it pushes the syringe out and does not let air back in
removed the slave cylinder and cleaned behind it (removed the "bit" of gasket whilst I was at it) - polished the "push rod" (with some steel wool to get rid of some build up caked to it)
made sure the oil level was topped right up (it was sitting just on the low)

took it for a run and all is good

thanks for the sugestions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.