StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got blue running LED's on my DL650 now and recently saw an ad for replacement LED's for my cluster to shift it from "orange" to another color. Since my bike is blue I was considering, well, blue. Not withstanding that blue may be too dark for cluster illumination my question is, has anyone replaced their cluster LED's or have a clue as to how hard this would be to do?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've got blue running LED's on my DL650 now and recently saw an ad for replacement LED's for my cluster to shift it from "orange" to another color. Since my bike is blue I was considering, well, blue. Not withstanding that blue may be too dark for cluster illumination my question is, has anyone replaced their cluster LED's or have a clue as to how hard this would be to do?

the color is actually on the gauge faces not the lighting
theres a couple threads where this is covered, only one or two people making new faces and its not cheap at all.....
use google to bypass the letter number restriction in site search

led gauge site:www.stromtrooper.com

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the color is actually on the gauge faces not the lighting
theres a couple threads where this is covered, only one or two people making new faces and its not cheap at all.....]
No the face remains the same in this kit. They are on Ebay and , well the ad states, that you can change the actual LED lighting inside the cluster to provide a different color. I don't mean the face plate changes, it remains the same. It appears that when you change the LED colors the dials will reflect that color at night. Also after looking if I can do this I may go with the white which looks like a bright pale blue by comparison. The actual blue seems dark to me but it could just be the photo. I'll try to post a link but if that fails then do a search on Ebay for dl650 led cluster and you will see it. The same kit works for a dl1000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-DL650-DL1000-V-STROM-LED-KIT-GAUGE-CLUSTER-WHITE_W0QQitemZ280316687710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item280316687710&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A727|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Those kits caught my eye, too. Have you found out any more about them? Or better yet, have you installed one?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
hmmm

from the listing:

REMEMBER WHITE AND BLUE LEDS YOU NEED TO REMOVE OLD COLOR PAINT IN OEM GAUGE AND THEY NOT AS BRIGHT AS RED OR AMBER. REMEMBER YOU NEED TO SOLDER ALL THE LED'S.

·
Registered
708 Posts
No the face remains the same in this kit. They are on Ebay and , well the ad states, that you can change the actual LED lighting inside the cluster to provide a different color. I don't mean the face plate changes, it remains the same. It appears that when you change the LED colors the dials will reflect that color at night. Also after looking if I can do this I may go with the white which looks like a bright pale blue by comparison. The actual blue seems dark to me but it could just be the photo. I'll try to post a link but if that fails then do a search on Ebay for dl650 led cluster and you will see it. The same kit works for a dl1000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-DL650-DL1000-V-STROM-LED-KIT-GAUGE-CLUSTER-WHITE_W0QQitemZ280316687710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item280316687710&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A727|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting
from the listing:

REMEMBER WHITE AND BLUE LEDS YOU NEED TO REMOVE OLD COLOR PAINT IN OEM GAUGE AND THEY NOT AS BRIGHT AS RED OR AMBER. REMEMBER YOU NEED TO SOLDER ALL THE LED'S.
this is what i was talking about, that 'orange' comes from the faces, not the bulbs, so you could solder in some blue bulbs but the color would be some weird blue/orange melange, so new faceplates are required cause good luck taking the orange off the originals

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is what i was talking about, that 'orange' comes from the faces, not the bulbs, so you could solder in some blue bulbs but the color would be some weird blue/orange melange, so new faceplates are required cause good luck taking the orange off the originals
AHHH, many thanks guys. So much for that kit, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on a possible custom farkle! First to address soldering in those LEDs for that kit, not gonna happen!! I would if the originals were soldered in but they are not. The originals are a mini wedge model 168 and plug in. So I went to http://www.superbriteleds.com/ and looked for the 168/194 wedges. They make a nice 4 led bulb with a 220 degree dispersal that plugs in. It also comes in UV and I just happen to have a container of ultra blue UV ink. Wonder how hard it would be to paint over the orange on the dial so it "glows" by replacing the bulbs and making some of them UV? It would still be orange with a blue tint though huh

sigh and it looks so cool in the illustrations. However it does explain why the bars show up and not the numbers. They repainted the bars and left the numbers orange is my guess.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like a lot of hassle for a mere cosmetic effect. But I have to say I'm still baffled by that gauge cluster (I've had it off as a unit but did not look under the faces of the gauges). The speedo and tach numbers are orange against a black background, while the center display is a nondescript neutral color (beige?) until illuminated, then becomes orange. Unless the thing has orange bulbs behind it (unlikely) there must be an orange mask or layer behind at least the center display to make it orange when illuminated from behind. But why is it a sort of baby-shit brown when not illuminated?

In other words, does anyone know what's under the faces to give them the orange color? The parts fiche exploded diagram doesn't even show bulbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts