StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new 03 yellow strom owner. The bike is used with about 4k miles. The 1-2 shift is really "clunky". I read the manual and it recommends that I shift at 12 mph. Seem kinda low. Is this normal? Also, when I start the bike in gear, the bike lurches forward a little like the clutch is not fully dis-engaged. I had a 00 SV650 and it did the same thing. Is this normal or were both bikes in need of servicing?

F

·
0 Posts
Mine does the "lurching' too, but only when cold. Try it when the oil is hot, no more lurching. I suspect the clutch plates and the steel plates are closer together than other bikes, add some cold stiff oil and there is some friction. As for the clunk from 1-2, it is a big throw thru neutral and the gears are further apart. Physically and range wise. I just got used to it. My Yama makes noises that the VS doesn't and wise versa.

A

·
0 Posts
Do you know what kind of oil it has in it? The oil may be the incorrect kind making the clutch sticky.
And as for the 12mph shift point, yes that seams real low. I shift around 4000-5000 rpm's under normal, no trafic, kind of conditions which is around 20-25 mph.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What kind of oil are you running? When I switched to synthetic the shifting really smoothed up-like the difference between night and day. Mine had some lurching at low rpms but after remaping the low end on the fuel injectors it has smoothed out.

R

·
0 Posts
I'll second that on the synthetic oil. I recently changed to it and it made quite a difference in the shifting. Much, much smoother now

G

·
0 Posts
ryan said:
Dont know about the oil. Has the same oil when purchased it. I'll try synthetic oil. The clutch is fully pressed and still lurches forward. The bike has been shipped overseas, hope I can get parts.
Depending on where you've shipped it, you should be ok pretty much anywhere overseas. Change your oil, but even then, when cold, she'll push against the brake (DL1000).

She just wants to go, that's all.

W

·
0 Posts
I suggest investigating cluch adjustment also concerning the lurch you described.

And as much as I'd like to say that the quality of shifting is independent of the oil I use, my experience with the 'Strom and other bikes indicates otherwise. Synthetic oil seems to really make a difference in shifting, especially after a few thousand miles have been put on the odometer.

P

·
0 Posts
Woofy said:
Synthetic oil seems to really make a difference in shifting, especially after a few thousand miles have been put on the odometer.
I've noticed the same thing. Synthetic blend (semi-synthetic) didn't make much different. But I put in full synthetic recently (7500 miles) and immediately noticed a big improvement. Shifting is now extremely smooth. But I still do get a bit of a lurch on that initial engagement of first gear when the temps are cold outside. I consider that normal. On a warmer day, or after the bike warms up a little, that disappears.

B

·
0 Posts
Loud clunk between 1-2nd

I just purchased a 2003 V Strom that only has 75 miles on it and have put an additional 100 miles on it . I love the bike but the loud clunk when shifting between 1st and 2nd is very annoying . I hope this will smooth out a little as it breaks in. I was encouraged to hear other V Strom owners have had a similiar experience with their bikes.

S

·
0 Posts
What you all need to do is pre load the shifter BEFORE you pull in the clutch. Then quickly pull in the clutch and slightly let off the throttle. Pre loading the shifter is very important here. With a little practice this will come very naturally and you will never get the clunk we hate to hear. Even works when I am in Sport bike mode.

B

·
0 Posts
After market exhaust

Being a new V Strom owner I ,am looking into after market exhaust to see what would be best for my situation. All I,am looking to acomplish is to be able to be able to hear my exhaust in order to judge my shift points without looking at the tach so much. Additional performance is not an issue for me. Has anyone ever taken the stock exhaust apart to see if it can be modified to make it a little louder. The reason I ask is that all the after market exhaust do not fit the body work as cleanly as the stock units do. Any suggestions would be apreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts