StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Wee has recently started to make a clunking noise as I accelerate from a stop. This is not constant. It sounds like it is coming from the rear wheel. I was thinking the rubbers in the rear hub or the wheel bearing, but everything looked and felt good after I removed the rear wheel. I don't hear the noise with the bike on the center stand when I release the clutch. IE no load on the rear wheel.

It sounds like the noise goes away as I accelerate, but that could be other noises drowning it out. It does seem to be worse at the end of the day after 3-400 kms.

I read about the clutch making noise, but it doesn't sound like the noise is coming from there.

Any ideas are welcome!

I have resolved every issue that this bike has had with the help of this site! Thank you! This bike is less than 1000kms from Ushuaia and was ridden here from Las Vegas NV. With the help of StromTroopers!:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a noise like that. I thought my transmission was eating itself. It turned out to be the chain wearing into the teeth of the sprocket and getting stuck on it. The crunch was the chain roller breaking free of the ledge on the sprocket tooth.

If you lube the crap out of your chain, does it change th noise?

·
Administrator
17,105 Posts
Agree with chain/sprockets, and if your rear sprocket carrier was easy to pull out of the hub and easy to drop back in.....the rubbers are worn out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help

The noise occurs after I have been riding for a couple hours. The chain lube I have now is very sticky, and the rubbers are definitely worn.

As soon as I know where I will be for a while I will get new rubbers, chain, and sprockets sent down. For now I will keep the chain clean and try to find some different chain lube. I will be in Ushuaia in a couple days.

This is an incredible part of the world! I will try to get some photos uploaded provided the wifi doesn't crap out!

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Yup. Almost certain it's your chain on its way out. Look for a kinked link and that's your culprit. That's the sign my bike gives me when it's time for a new one.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Raise the rear wheel off the ground (centre stand/hoist or something safe) then run the bike in first gear and watch the chain. The chain should run smooth with no vertical movement, if it intermittently leaps about and 'stutters' then there's your problem, a stuffed chain. And yes check the cush rubbers, play in them will ruin a chain in no time. You can repack them with old inner tube cut into rectangles, plastic milk containers are also pretty good. And of course there's no use putting a new chain on worn sprockets.

·
Registered
248 Posts
And use caution

Raise the rear wheel off the ground (centre stand/hoist or something safe) then run the bike in first gear and watch the chain. The chain should run smooth with no vertical movement, if it intermittently leaps about and 'stutters' then there's your problem, a stuffed chain. And yes check the cush rubbers, play in them will ruin a chain in no time. You can repack them with old inner tube cut into rectangles, plastic milk containers are also pretty good. And of course there's no use putting a new chain on worn sprockets.
While this is a good way to inspect the chain, USE EXTREME CAUTION when executing this because tools and FINGERS can quickly be eaten by the chain entering the sprocket, way faster than you can pull your hands away. I'd advise against running a bike in gear with no rider unless absolutely necessary

Alternatively, put it in neutral and spin the wheel by hand; chain issues won't be made as obvious but it's safer

·
Registered
301 Posts
Necro-thread, I know, but I've encountered a similar issue. From a stop, foot on rear brake: I slip the clutch and brake, get the bike moving, and I get a "thub-thub-thub" sound in time with wheel rotation. Slowing down and speeding up again will sometimes trigger it once, however I always get at least one "thub" starting from a stop. Sometimes I feel the first "thub" in one peg or other and then not again. Issue began, maybe, four-five days ago.

Sprockets are in fine shape for 26k miles, the front just starting to show a hook. Chain has 12k miles and no kinks or binding, under care of a Tutoro oiler. The sound and feeling are not in time with the chain. Wheel bearings are Koyo, replaced 2k mi ago by a trusted mech. Spinning either wheel on the center stand or riding it back and forth in the driveway does not reproduce the issue. I have Ride On in the tires, which remain puncture free (I checked.) Tires themselves are Road 5 Trail with 6k-ish mi on them and LOTS of life left.

Remember My Cousin Vinny when they were talking about "mud in the tires?" The sound and timing are similar, except the sound never lasts more than four rotations.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wonder if the O P also has Ride On in his tires. It didn't work for me. well it did for some time, then got thick and lumpy, then stuck in one place. this threw the tires out of balance. I had to remove the tires and remove the Ride On. It is water soluble. I did send Ride On an unhappy letter and got no response.

I use the balance beads and have no problems with them.

It is a safe bet that the OP's noise is in the chain or sprockets.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tight link on a worn chain and front sprocket. Had exactly the same on another bike. Replaced chain and sprockets and all was well again.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Also, my Rickman Z-1 had a solid rear hub. You could feel the difference in the throttle response. Made wheelies quick & easy.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Based on a wild guess and 50 years of experience, it is the chain (you said that niether sprockets are not hooked). If it was the cush drive you only get one thunk and then usually only if you have rolled the bike backwards. You only hear it at start off because once up to speed it is a continuous sound and that sound is several feet behind you.

The chain could have a tight spot (3 or 4 links that are just a little stiff).
The good news is that it is highly unlikely that you have crapped out the first gear inside the cases.

·
Registered
301 Posts
To update, I believe the chain-suspecting folks are correct. Chain was a tad dry after a ride in the rain so I opened the oiler and poof, the repeated "thub" quieted down to a single quiet "click" that happens at random on takeoff. I did hear several "tick-ticks" while trolling a parking lot at low speed, but neither the speed nor the sound were consistent.

I was looking for an excuse to slap in a 16t front, looks like I found it. Appreciate the help, guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts