StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed a 700km ride today. During the ride I was noticing a clunk starting when i would accelerate in first gear. It seemed to be coming from the chain. it was fine when riding, only when starting out. It progressively got worse, but i was able to complete the trip with no issues.

When i got home i first suspected the chain. It was warm but didn't look in bad shape. I put some chain wax on it anyways, and noticed when i spin the rear wheel i can hear a scraping sound coming from the front sprocket area.

I'm thinking the front sprocket is worn, or maybe something else in that area.

I bought this bike used about 3 months ago and have no idea when the sprockets were changed last, or the age of the chain.

I looked at dissasembly instructions for the front sprocket and it doesn't sound like it would have to tools to get the bolt off that front sprocket as it is held on using red locktite and torqued very high.

Should i just take it to a Suzuki dealer to fix it? I know that's going to cost me an arm/leg, maybe more. Maybe they can have it apart, fixed and reassembled quickly?

Probably dreaming right?

Should i just order a front/rear sprocket/chain, and then take that to a dealer to mount? Im sure the dealer price for those parts will be double or triple what i can get them for.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The same thing happened to me last year after returning home from a long weekend of riding in all sorts of weather. When I began to accelerate in 1st gear I could hear a clunk. I cleaned the chain and sprockets and it didn't help. I put the bike on the center stand and slowly turned the back wheel and noticed that the chain would ever so slightly tighten and then regain slack as I rotated the wheel. I lubed the chain but to no avail. I installed a new chain and the problem was solved. Hope this might help.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a link binding up on your chain. Clean your chain well and give it a good lube. That may cure it. If not time for a new one.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
one of the problems with the 1k is that you have to take the sprocket cover and slave off to inspect the front sprocket, at leat on the 650, you can peak at the back of it

I made an inspection port in my sprocket cover

a link to the thread, http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/37512-front-sprocket-inspection-port-mod.html
sorry, photos links are dead, I think I still have them to upload to another host

edit, new pics posted to the linked thread

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the cover off this morning and there was a lot of gunk in there. Cleaned all that out. I can't clean behind the sprocket though. Is it safe to spray WD-40 in behind or something else? The previous owner must have been using an oil based chain lube to fling that much crap around in the front area.

The front sprocket definately has some wear to it, so i think i may just order a new one. What size sprocket is in there by default and what is best? I saw some mention of changing the front sprocket to something else (bigger or smaller?). Could i use the same chain if i switch the sprocket? maybe its best to do the sprocket/chain together?

I cleaned the chain really well using Kerosene, then reapplied the chain wax, then put it all back together and went for a spin around the block. No more noise, but I suspect it will come back once the chain gets warm, or after riding it a while. It "could" be a sticking link on the chain. Hard to guess.

I would love to get some Dupont chain lube, but they don't seem to sell it up here in Canada for some reason. Probably it kills something and is forbidden. That's the usual reason. I will pick some up in Seattle next Saturday. Hopefully i remember it, and hopefully they carry it.

Thanks for the help gang. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Clean and lube chain, sprockets; clean guides and sprocket cover. Properly adjust chain as per owner's manual. If noise is still present, replace chain and sprockets.

$180-ish for parts; don't know about labor. It's not hard to do yourself if you have some basic tools; search the forum for others who have done it.

Cheers -d

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ordered the two sprockets and chain already. Hopefully have them by end of this week.

Not sure i can replace these myself. I may not have the tools necessary, like a long wrench to get the front sprocket nut off.

Not even sure how to jack the bike up at this point. Is it possible to replace the rear sprocket using only a center stand?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been having the same symptoms with my bike as well. I am convinced that it is time to change the chain and sprockets. My bike has nearly 29,000 miles on it and the chain is showing the signs that it has reached the end of it's lifespan and the sprockets are wornout as well. As far as changing the chain and sprockets with a center stand, yes you can. I don't have one but wish i did and will be getting one when I can. For now I will be using my swingarm stand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts