StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, yeah, i'm a bit heavier than the V's shock/spring are designed for, but every once in a while when hitting even a small bump/pothole, the rear end feels like i have a flat tire. and always, the air pressure is fine (36-40).

i do plan on rebuilding the shock and getting an appropriate spring but until the $$$$ are available for that, any ideas on why this is happening?

·
Administrator
17,401 Posts
You ride a 9 year old bike which is under sprung for your weight......it is worn out. ;)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Agreed -- your shock's pooped, and your preload adjuster might be pooped as well.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
except my 9 y/o bike has only 23,000 miles on it so it's really only about 2.75 y/o.

if this happened every time i hit a bump or pothole i wouldn't have asked the question. but as i quite clearly said, "every once in a while..."

i will take a look at the preload setting and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The purpose of the preload is to get the loaded bike in about the middle of its suspension travel. It sounds like you need to raise yours or maybe rebuild the hydraulic preload adjuster (just a leaky o-ring).

Do this--turn the preload adjuster and see if the top spring mount on the shock raises and lowers. If the knob won't turn, search this site for ways to free it up. If it turns but the mount doesn't move, you need to fix that leaky o-ring. If it raises & lowers, you're ready to set the sag.

Raise the rear wheel off the ground and measure from the axle to a spot on the rear fender. You probably need a helper. Get on the bike, straight up & down, tip toes just brushing the ground, and have the helper measure the same points again. You want about a 40 mm change in the measurement. Crank the preload knob to get that 40 mm. Measure again to be sure.

Same idea for the front. Use a cable tie around the inner fork tube. Front wheel off the ground, slide the tie next to the seal. Get on, jiggle a bit to settle the suspension, tip toes on the ground, get off, wheel in the air, measure how far the cable tie got pushed down the fork tube. Use the screw slots in the top of the forks to make a change to get the tie to a 40 mm movement, test again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts