StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not often that a motorcycle wins an encounter with a car, so I thought I would pass this along.

I had a close call recently. I was riding north on Yorkdale Road when I got sideswiped by an old guy in a minivan. He was on the ramp coming off the Allen to Yorkdale and drifted right into my lane instead of staying in his.

(See air photo)

I stayed shiny side up without a scratch. Him, not so much. My passenger peg mount bracket caught his wheel well and it pulled off his front bumper & grill.

He didn't hear my horn, just kept coming over into me. And there was no other escape because of oncoming traffic. This was definitely a good reminder to watch out for all those idiots out there. Hopefully this idiot has learned his lesson and may start watching out for motorcycles.

On a lighter note, this confirms that I won't be buying a Chrystler!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a close encounter today, a guy in an SUV decided to change lanes and just turned into me luckily I had room to move left and gas it out of harms way. There was no time to use the horn,,,, funny thing was as I looked over at him he gave me the look like I had done wrong .

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I try to do a shoulder check to the right whenever there is an on ramp. I really hate some cagers who just own the road and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Glad you're okay.
(Love the bit about buying a Chrysler)
I finally got my bike out for the (2011) virgin voyage yesterday. All good! Still tonnes of gravel. Today, I might try to commute.
I ride daily out here, rain or shine. Sometimes I'll be the only bike parked at work, when other days there are more than 20. And I ride late into the season - not on ice or with studded tires or anything, but with handguards and a jacket liner, I keep the cold off me.
So I have a reputation for being a rider, and people have been asking me "where the bike? "Get the bike out yet?" I tell them, in addition to the dangers of the winter road gravel, I don't mind being the last bike on the road before winter, but I'm not too excited to be the first bike on the road in spring. People up here forget about motorcycles, and when they are coming out of their winter hibernation, and still scraping frost off the car in the morning, they are not looking for us.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Minimize complexity.

It's not often that a motorcycle wins an encounter with a car, so I thought I would pass this along.

I had a close call recently. I was riding north on Yorkdale Road when I got sideswiped by an old guy in a minivan. He was on the ramp coming off the Allen to Yorkdale and drifted right into my lane instead of staying in his.
I know that intersection well, and in fact I rode through it this month.
When it was under construction, that maze of ramps and merge-points
was called "Spaghetti Junction", and rightfully feared.

I try to stay away from the places where merging happens,
because the average idiot merging misses seeing something,
and all too often I am the object that escapes notice.
Clearly, there was no "other" lane for you to use.

I am heading this afternoon to a more complex junction,
YouTube - Clearwater Roundabout Action
on a vintage bike that needs some action. I hope I make it 'round!

Keith

P.S. (after the ride) I enjoyed traversing the roundabout in the video,
and indeed I went around it a few times, exploring various routes into
and out of the roundabout. People seemed to handle it very well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Stebel is no guaranty, but it can help.

Thanks Heavy. A friend has this horn on his K1300S and I just listened to it this morning. I'll be ordering one, along with the Eastern Beaver wiring harness & relay. This should help next time around, although you have to be really short on the button if you are just giving someone a little warning toot. This could really scare the crap out of people if they aren't expecting it!

·
Administrator
13,812 Posts
I'm glad you are okay and came out with the upper hand!

Would using the brake on your bike helped out? I try and avoid being in someone's blind spot, and if I do have to be make an effort to quickly zoom by so they don't have time to move into my lane. The Stebel is great, but if I have to use it I often think I have failed by gettign into the situation on the first place.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Would using the brake on your bike helped out? I try and avoid being in someone's blind spot, and if I do have to be make an effort to quickly zoom by so they don't have time to move into my lane. The Stebel is great, but if I have to use it I often think I have failed by getting into the situation on the first place.

..Tom
I'm with you 100% there Tom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad you are okay and came out with the upper hand!

Would using the brake on your bike helped out? I try and avoid being in someone's blind spot, and if I do have to be make an effort to quickly zoom by so they don't have time to move into my lane. The Stebel is great, but if I have to use it I often think I have failed by gettign into the situation on the first place.

..Tom
Using the brake would have just got me into more trouble! Like I said, my rear peg bracket hooked the inside of his front wheel well, meaning I was almost by him when he came over into me. Braking would have put me beside the body of his van & probably knocked me into oncoming traffic. Accelerating got me by, along with half his front end in tow.

This ramp is not like a highway merge. The ramp becomes the outside lane, so there is no reason for anyone to merge over like that. Also, seeing cars approaching on that ramp is difficult because they are coming out from under a bridge, with abutments and a crash barrier obstructing views until the last minute. Premature braking just in case someone might be coming through would more likely get me rear ended. This is Toronto after all.

I'm still a big supporter of good defensive riding, but the reality is that sometimes no matter what you do, you can't avoid everything. Cagers can be way too creative for that. A second line of defense is to make yourself known, even if they really don't care if they see you or not. I'll be getting the louder horn. I commute daily on my Wee, I need to stack the odds in my favour as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Beyond the Blue Horizon

... I try and avoid being in someone's blind spot ...
..Tom
Tom, that is certainly a very good idea, but I think that
driver's blind spot extends farther than we can ride in a day!

His brothers and sisters seem to be near me wherever I go.
(That means that they really do get around!)

And they are evidently using their cell phones to track me.
Constantly!

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unbelievable, you must have been right alongside his side window when he veered into your lane. Past his blind spot. He must be brain dead.
Glad you came out on top.

Ride safe

·
Administrator
13,812 Posts
Using the brake would have just got me into more trouble! Like I said, my rear peg bracket hooked the inside of his front wheel well, meaning I was almost by him when he came over into me. Braking would have put me beside the body of his van & probably knocked me into oncoming traffic. Accelerating got me by, along with half his front end in tow..
I know everything isn't avoidable (that's why I have the Stebel!) and sometimes no matter what they are gong to try to be where you are. I commute dailly as well (a big part of the 10,500 km I have on my bike so far in 2011) and see lots going on. It has made me avoid the 400 series hgihways/QEW/Gardiner/DVP etc. wherever practical. When I am crossing someone's blind spot I tend to get past as quickly as possible. I just hate to be there and the faster I am going the less time they have to move into me.

Thanks for sharing this! Please don't take any of my comments as criticism. I am always looing at situations and trying to figure out how it could have been avoided. Main thing here though is that you are okay!

..Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know everything isn't avoidable (that's why I have the Stebel!) and sometimes no matter what they are gong to try to be where you are. I commute dailly as well (a big part of the 10,500 km I have on my bike so far in 2011) and see lots going on. It has made me avoid the 400 series hgihways/QEW/Gardiner/DVP etc. wherever practical. When I am crossing someone's blind spot I tend to get past as quickly as possible. I just hate to be there and the faster I am going the less time they have to move into me.

Thanks for sharing this! Please don't take any of my comments as criticism. I am always looing at situations and trying to figure out how it could have been avoided. Main thing here though is that you are okay!

..Tom
Tom

Thanks for the sentiments. I fully agree with you about getting out of blind spots as quickly as possible, and I think my speed getting by him (well almost cleanly by him) is what actually saved me. In hind site in this situation, a louder horn may have woken him up and would have been the best way to have avoided the collision in the first place.

I was afraid this thread starting to take a"blame the victim" direction, so I'm glad you did this last post. I didn't start this thread to open up this debate (again), only to share my particular situation and warn people who ride through this intersection. We hear way too many bad news stories, I simply wanted to share a rare instance where the motorcycle actually came out on top.

·
Administrator
13,812 Posts
...I was afraid this thread starting to take a"blame the victim" direction, so I'm glad you did this last post. I didn't start this thread to open up this debate (again), only to share my particular situation and warn people who ride through this intersection. We hear way too many bad news stories, I simply wanted to share a rare instance where the motorcycle actually came out on top.
It's nice to hear when we win, although realistically it rarely happens. I am always analysing crashes to see why they happened. When other vehicles are involved it is almost always the other vehicle's fault, but since we are the ones that get hurt and/or die I like to think of it as our responsibility. That is the only real way we can avoid the situation in the first place. For example, last fall I had a car do a U-turn in front of me on a back road. Without getting into details (Which can be read here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/57979-crashed-last-night.html ) the car driver was completely at fault and took responsibility.

Yet, if I had done some of the things I normally do I could have avoided the crash in the first place. So if I spent a lot of time blaming the driver (as many here focus on) little would have been accomplished and I could find myself in the same situation in the future with a similar (or worse!) outcome. Thinking about what I can do to avoid it is more useful as I am the one most likely to suffer in that situation; and sharing it perhaps might help another rider in a similar situation avoid a crash as well.

(It is why I am so big on the SMIDSY links below.)

Ride safe!

..Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts