StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says... I'll get on the bike and find the clock has lost several hours. I set the right time, only to find after a stop that the clock is off again.

2005 Vee, original battery (only failed to start once this winter when it was off the charger for a few weeks).

Is it a battery thing, a wiring thing, or an electronic thing? Common problem that I've not managed to run across in the forum here, or never heard of it before?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
It's a battery thing. New battery time!

Lots of cars do this, too. If you hear someone complaining because the clock in her Lexus keeps resetting, it's because the battery is getting too weak to maintain voltage when cranking.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - thanks for all the quick replies. I'm a little surprised that it will still crank and start if the battery's so shot it can't fire a flippin' digital clock!!

I guess I should prepare for sticker shock on a battery.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

Has someone been riding the bike, perhaps unbeknownst to you, approaching the speed of light?

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

Has someone been riding the bike, perhaps unbeknownst to you, approaching the speed of light?

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say....

The battery can crank the starter at 40-80 amp, but not power the clock at 0.2 milliamp?

There's something weird about suzuki.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be fair, I've noticed of late that when it's cranking after sitting for a few days, it's cranking at less RPM than after a hot re-start. Still, that clock should run off a hearing aid battery for a decade - still doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the heads up on the battery. I started googling last night - I'm a battery idiot - don't even know the difference between 'conventional,' 'maintenance free,' and 'gel' (besides the obvious).

Re: riding close to the speed of light - isn't the top speed governed to about 1.65x10^-7 c? Hmmm.. maybe I need a TRE.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was gonna say....

The battery can crank the starter at 40-80 amp, but not power the clock at 0.2 milliamp?

There's something weird about suzuki.
Not really. The clock is a digital device and needs a certain minimum voltage to operate. The current draw on the battery while cranking is dropping the voltage below that minimum value and the clock resets itself. In my case, while starting the bike for the first time this year after an extended hiatus, the voltage dropped low enough that the instrument cluster also reset itself when I started the bike, going through its needle sweep and such again.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Wow - thanks for all the quick replies. I'm a little surprised that it will still crank and start if the battery's so shot it can't fire a flippin' digital clock!!

I guess I should prepare for sticker shock on a battery.
WalMart sells an AGM battery. Increased CCA. Don't have to wait for it to arrive by mail, good technology, no 'free' juice/acid, doesn't even have a vent tube.

That's what I'm running...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I find that my clock will occasionally move forward or backward up to 10 minutes over maybe 4 months. Every time I set the clock for Daylight Saving Time or something, I go by the time on my gps and notice that + or - 10 minutes. Doesn't make sense to me, if it is a digital device how it can lose track of time like that. Weird, huh?
Chris in Boston

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Y'all are makin' me nervous with all this talk about "missing time" and the probability that you're riding around alone in remote places from time to time...by any chance you're not having any disturbing dreams lately or recall seeing anything unusual in the night sky?

:D

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I find that my clock will occasionally move forward or backward up to 10 minutes over maybe 4 months. Every time I set the clock for Daylight Saving Time or something, I go by the time on my gps and notice that + or - 10 minutes. Doesn't make sense to me, if it is a digital device how it can lose track of time like that. Weird, huh?
Chris in Boston
Sounds like one or more segments of the LCD clock display are acting up. It isn't losing track of the time. Just not displaying it correctly.

..Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts