StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clock is about 9 minutes slow. My bike is a 2007 which I have had since it was new. 19,000+ miles and over 4 years old. For at least several months now the clock has been losing time. It is now about 9 minutes slow. This may have been going on longer and I just did not notice it.

My question is: Will the clock run slower as the battery ages? I am on my original battery and will be ordering a new battery very soon, just to be safe.
Also, are the clocks accurate with a new battery.

The clock was set when new and I have never touched it. I run DST all year long.

My voltmeter is analog and does not give me a very accurate reading. However, it reads about the same on all three of my bikes.

I did a search on this, but came up empty.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mine loses a minute or two a month, I suppose. Don't know about the rest of your questions. Mostly I use my GPS for a clock.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Time is bunk.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My question is: Will the clock run slower as the battery ages?
No It either works or it does not. Th clock either has enough power to run, or it does not. It will not become more or less accurate over time. In other words it will be consistently inaccurate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Quartz crystals age. As they do, their accuracy changes. Whether it goes up or down depends on the cut. Historically, manufacturers use the highest quality crystals in vehicles; due to the large changes in temperature (which also affects accuracy) and the difficulty in setting vehicle clocks.

Voltage typically does not affect accuracy, but it depends on the design of the clock circuit. I have no information about the clock in the 'Strom.

Four years is a long time to go without setting your clock. It is probably just normal drift.

Look at: Crystal oscillator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information on drift and the various cuts.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I think you have answered my questions.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Time is bunk.
Right you are:
The Unreality of Time

Edit: Sorry; I just realised it's probably over most people's heads, but if you do read it, it's compelling. Every dozen year sor so someone digs this argument up again and tries to kill it "once and for all". The fact that they do it over and over again proves that no-one really succeeded.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Quartz crystals age. As they do, their accuracy changes. [...snip...]
Look at: Crystal oscillator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information on drift and the various cuts.
Bull-crap!
The reason we measure time with quartz is that it is very reliable; it always vibrates at the same frequency.
Your bike's battery may cut out intermittently, but even if it didn't, every quartz watch needs to be reset every now and again. I'd say that at three years, you're way overdue.

Another clear case of wikipedia failing monumentally. (Why do people believe the crap posted on there? You might as well believe what your tv tells you.)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
On my K7 Wee (original battery) I only reset the clock every 6 months or so for daylight saving start and stop. It's never more than a minute out if that.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mine loses a minute or two a month, I suppose. Don't know about the rest of your questions. Mostly I use my GPS for a clock.
Mine does the same...it's a good excuse for arriving late when the road seems to take me everywhere but home... and I just have to quote the clock setting threads on here to show that I can't fix the problem...:green_lol:

·
Registered
371 Posts
On my K7 Wee (original battery) I only reset the clock every 6 months or so for daylight saving start and stop. It's never more than a minute out if that.
My clock does seems to be dead on (I really don't even pay attention to it), but I don't bother to reset it after DST, I just know during winter months when I ride less, the clock is off by an hour.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bull-crap!
The reason we measure time with quartz is that it is very reliable; it always vibrates at the same frequency.
Your bike's battery may cut out intermittently, but even if it didn't, every quartz watch needs to be reset every now and again. I'd say that at three years, you're way overdue.

Another clear case of wikipedia failing monumentally. (Why do people believe the crap posted on there? You might as well believe what your tv tells you.)
I love you, SD! But you should only post when you haven't been drinking.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
The clock on the Vee is highly accurate.

The clock on the Wee is highly inaccurate.

Vees are better.

Neener, neener, neener!

:hurray:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts