StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K7 Wee with approximately 14 K miles on it. My chain is shot and I need to replace it. I checked out SV Racing's Chain Sprocket combo and although this is a pretty good deal, I am having some difficulty justisfying spending $100 on a chain tool I will only use once. (My toolbox is full of specialty tools that were only used once.)
Years ago, motorcycle chains had removeable master links which made it relatively easy to replace the chain or remove it for maintenance. These are referred to as "clip" links now.
I am considering ordering a new chain that is cut to length along with a clip link. Since I am not changing sprockets, I should be able to count the number of links on my OEM chain, order a new chain with the same number of links and then install it without a chain tool. (I plan to cut the old chain off with a dremal tool & cut-off wheel.) Not only will I be able to install it without a chain tool, I can remove it from time to time to clean and lubricate it (easier to do off the bike). Does anyone know of a reason for not using a clip-type master link? Anyone have a bad experience with these links?

Thanks,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good question. I don't have an answer, but I do have some thoughts on the matter. I know when I rode in the desert in Phoenix we all used chains with clips. I never had mine come off and I spent many a weekend for a year and half riding it in the desert. I did see one chain that did come apart due to the clip coming off. I suspect the clip was installed backwards, but after it comes off, it is not possible to tell. All my previous chain driven bikes had clips.

We beat those dirt bikes to death in the desert doing everything dirt bikes do and I never had a problem. I don't see why a Clip should not holdup just fine on the street and for what most Stroms are capable of.

I think most of us get the tool and re-press the new link on because that was how the bike came and we want to keep it "stock". Or maybe it just seems like it should be better!? But I have seen a number of posts here where chains have failed ... So it is hard to say which is better than the other.

I do like the capability to easily remove it for cleaning.

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
I'm looking forward to Greywolf giving an approval to the LINK question. I can't see why a Master Link isn't a good thing. Just seems endless is the way things are done now.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Do the clips work with o-ring or x-ring chains?

I am not sure...

Part of the beauty of the 'ring' chain is it's long life (relatively anyway).

To properly install the rivet master the side plate has to be pressed, and you don't want to overpress either.

I think the rivet master is the way to go, personally.

I also recall reading something about a screw type master, but know nothing about it...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Good question without a good answer. It suspect it comes down to liability.

Dear Suzuki - my dirt bike threw the chain and hurt me in the desert. Dear rider - its off road and has inherent dangers..we are so sorry.

Dear Suzuki - my street bike threw the chain and hurt me on the highway. Dear rider - please do not sue us.

It may come down to just that. I use clipless on street bikes for this reason. If I have a product failure I want to be able to have some recourse.

With dirt bikes the chains are replaced much sooner due to the environment they run in. A well cared for street chain may be on your bike for years.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I ran a Kawasaki GPz750 for 24 years - it had a honkin' hugeass 630 O-ring chain with clip style master link connectors [all that chain for 70 hp - crazy!]. Never had an issue in 24 years. Ya gotta run the closed end of the clip facing the direction of chain travel, so it won't get knocked off somehow.

14k on the stock rear sprocket. Let's see here - the chain is worn out, yet you are not replacing the sprocket [which also has worn along with the chain]. Ignoring the well worn rule of thumb regarding replacing chains+sprockets as a system, will end up costing you a lot more in the end. But, I guess we all make that move once.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A clip link doesn't fit the pin to side plate as tightly. I won't use one on a road bike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
your suzuki owners manuel says no joint-clip type chain on p 7-25.
i had one fail on my klr....
a rivit tool will onlt cost you about $30. its alot cheaper than a swing arm, case, leg...etc

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
A clip link doesn't fit the pin to side plate as tightly. I won't use one on a road bike.
However, it is a good thing to carry in a "spares" pouch.

I have used one just to try it out, and I carry one as a "spare" to deal with a possible chain issue.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It has taken me a half dozen chains to get the riveting down to where it is done correctly. I don't see what could possibly cause me to need a field repair of a chain on the DL650.

I don't feel that way about the KLX250, however, the chain is much lighter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen a lot of mixed comments on clip type links on other forums. Most of them recommend using the rivet type and staying away from the clip. Sounds like good advice. Also, having a clip link in the spares pouch for emergencies is a good idea (thanks Black Lab).

Have not seen much on the screw type master links. It seems like it would be better than a clip, but not as secure as a rivet.

Any recommendations on a chain tool? I have seen quite a variety of these on Ebay. I don't need professional level, just something that will produce a secure connection without binding. It's going to be a long time (hopefully) before I replace my chain again, so once or twice is all I need.

Also, anyone had any luck renting a chain tool?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
ive used clip type before, worked ok for me. :yesnod:
And it will for the great majority. It's just as true it is much more likely to fail than a properly riveted link. It isn't just the clip coming off that's a danger, parts break because they aren't held as solidly. The type of link that requires pressing the side plate on is much better. Some clip links require that and they are probably okay. If a master link can be assembled with fingers alone, I don't want it.

Clip type master link failure X 2

·
Registered
285 Posts
that chain looks like it has other problems also...master link being the main one. the links on either side look bad, it might be from the master link.
it also looks like it was not maintained, or too many trips up the dalton.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Have not seen much on the screw type master links. It seems like it would be better than a clip, but not as secure as a rivet.
The screw type master links work fine. I have used them for at least one, but possibly two chains.

This type of link would be superior to carry in a spares pouch then a clip type link.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts