StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I try a shot in the dark ( this forum ) and see what happens, if anything.

Just came back from a 2200 mile trip over the course of a week. The chain was very loose when I got home. Tightened it and now I hear a very distinct clicking coming from where ( I think ) the front sprocket is. That area. It's NOT on every revolution of the chain as I think it would happen more often. I had the bike on the center stand running in 1'st gear after tightening the chain. This clicking happens about every 2 - 3 seconds and just continues. This clicking was not happening before I left on the trip.

Any ideas boys ??

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds like you might be due for a new chain....can you pull the chain away from the rear sprocket? The clicking, as you describe it, sounds a lot like a frozen link in the chain. How many miles on the chain and sprocket(s)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like you might be due for a new chain....can you pull the chain away from the rear sprocket? The clicking, as you describe it, sounds a lot like a frozen link in the chain. How many miles on the chain and sprocket(s)?
Exactly what he said /\

This is why he meant by pulling the chain away. Eventually the chain stretches so much that it doesn't mesh perfectly with the teeth on the sprocket and that's where the clicking comes from

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's a clean but dry chain. You have funny finger nail too.
? I just had them done that day.

That chain was trash. Same with the sprockets. I couldn't even roll the bike backwards without the chain seizing and locking onto the sprocket. Improper chain maintenance = your chain looking like that after 9k. I'm guessing the OP did the same

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Yup - replace the lot ....once it starts, it deteriorates very quickly to unrideable. Guess how I know :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very well could be. I was kinda shocked when I looked at the chain after my trip. The chain definitely had at LEAST one link that was ...........bunched up ?? I thought that by readjusting the chain, it would go away. Since your reply, I've checked my records and see that the sprockets and chain have 21,000 miles on them. Not a tremendous amount. But, certainly should be replaced in light of what I've seen and read here.
Thanks !!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup - replace the lot ....once it starts, it deteriorates very quickly to unrideable. Guess how I know :(
Going to get it done first thing this week. God knows I DO NOT want to get stuck on the road again like last year. ( stator mess ) BTW..........those SOBs at Suzuki would not reimburse me 'causr they said I did not replace with genuine Suzuki parts. Although I get it............still not happy 'cause I sure as hell didn't pick where I was going to break down. Was VERY LUCKY to find an independent MC shop that was honest and helped me out with travel and transportation to and from hotels, etc.

Didn't even think to ask him to put in "genuine" parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts