StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Vee with 26,000 miles, stock. When I roll off the throttle in any gear, I'm hearing a clicking, (or tapping, or grinding) noise that I'd never heard before. I thought it might be exhaust related, but now I think it's the engine (?). I have never had the valves inspected. Could this be a factor? I don't think I can reproduce the sound while the bike is in neutral, and I usually hear it in the upper gears, only when I roll off the throttle. If I baby the bike, it will not make the grinding sound. Performance doesn't seem to be affected, but this sound can't be good ? I'm concerned that I don't have a good, reliable, trustworthy mechanic nearby, but may have to try the local guys again. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Vazmon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I forgot, and I'm sure the chain & sprockets need to be replaced. I hope that is all. Appreciate the input. I guess the local guys can replace for me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
chain/sprockets are toast
+1

If you haven't changed them already or recently they can be a source of funny noises and vibrations. I don't think the valves could make the noise you describe as the USUALLY tighten instead of loosen with wear/miles. Cam chain/tensioner is a possibility.

·
Registered
360 Posts
+1 on the chain and sprockets for sure!:yikes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have an 02 Vee with 26,000 miles, stock. When I roll off the throttle in any gear, I'm hearing a clicking, (or tapping, or grinding) noise that I'd never heard before. I thought it might be exhaust related, but now I think it's the engine (?). I have never had the valves inspected. Could this be a factor? I don't think I can reproduce the sound while the bike is in neutral, and I usually hear it in the upper gears, only when I roll off the throttle. If I baby the bike, it will not make the grinding sound. Performance doesn't seem to be affected, but this sound can't be good ? I'm concerned that I don't have a good, reliable, trustworthy mechanic nearby, but may have to try the local guys again. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Vazmon
+1 on chain and sprocket. Also the 02 and 03 Vee's have poor quality rubber drive cushions that are predisposed to a fair bit of wear, good idea to replace also you'll find the rear sprocket carrier bearing will be toast too so replace with a non genuine double sealed bearing, don't use a genuine bearing these do not carry the double seal and rely on the separate oil seal. Also check your rear wheel bearings as well as the Suzuki munchins are on a grease bugdet in that area as well. There is a great article on this subject on another site (see link below). If you are going to do chain and sprockets go the full hog and do this mod - greatly improves the driveability of the Vee, decreases chain and sprocket wear as well. Let everyone know what you do maybe some pic's of what you find on the way.

Farmer:thumbup:

DL1000 only - Rear Sprocket Carrier Play

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Further inspection of the chain, shows it has somehow become dangerously loose. Walked over to my local shop, ordered new chain and sprockets, and some new tires...Gonna be expensive, but want to keep my Strom going for as long as I can! Thanks for a simple diagnosis, and hopefully, simple solution. Happy riding all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts