StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Vee seems to be running fine. However, when I start rolling from a start I hear a clicking sound coming from the rear chain/sprocket area. I stopped and checked the chain and it was loose. I usually keep the chain at 1"-1.5" of play. I adjusted it to those specs, but it still makes the clicking noise. I can't see anything else wrong back there, but admittedly, I'm no mechanic.

Any ideas?

Thanks, KorKoro

·
Registered
584 Posts
Loose sprocket bolts?, Loose sprocket carrier bearing? loose cush drive rubbers?
I had a nutty noise back there once and the rear chain guide bolt was loose. Good luck.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Vendor
5,166 Posts
Have you done the spacer exchange?

There are two common sources for the clicking. If you have not the clicking may be associated with the chain wearing on the teeth of the sprocket. If you have it could be due to two aluminum surface inside the wheel "getting to know each other." In the latter case it works itself out.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Check for stuck links on the chain, if the link can't follow the chain it will click.

How worn are the sprockets, a chain will click as it leaves a worn sprocket.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, guess I've got some checking to do.

KorKoro

·
Vendor
5,166 Posts
Early Gen 1 1000s experienced some pretty profound chain and sprocket wear. People were replacing the full chain and sprocket sets at 9,000 to 11,000 miles. And hard clunky shifting between first to second. The root of the problem was traced to too much space between the shock rubbers in the rear wheel. This was at one time THE major topic of conversation on the V-Strom forums. Mostly lost to time now unless you own one of the Gen 1 bikes and haven't addressed the issue.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I'd expect a frozen link or two, especially with tension on the slack side. Happened to me once on the Wee while on a trip. The chain was just too dry and it started clacking. Once I lubed it, it quieted down. I was fortunate because I was 3,000 miles from home.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hooked sprocket is definitely a possibility. Happened to me. Looks worse than it actually is due to camera angle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I've checked the chain and sprocket. There's not much much sideways play in the chain -- but some. The sprocket looks somewhat worn, but again, not a lot. Spinning the wheel by hand, I didn't see any stuck links.

Last spring my shop told me the chain and sprocket were fine. I had bought a new set of sprockets and chain, so I still have them. That was at the 15,000 mile checkup.

I bought the bike used in 2018. I've got a complete maintenance record. Both the chain and sprocket are original. At this point I've got 21,000 miles on the bike.

I've got an appointment on June 16 to have the yearly service done. I'll have them change the sprockets and chain at that time. In the meantime I'll clean the chain and sprocket, relube and ride till the 16th.

Thanks for your help. KorKoro

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chain adjusted, chain and sprocket cleaned and lubed. No click!

Thanks a bunch, KorKoro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts