StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried the 3M or similar clear vinyl paint & headlight sticker kits? I've seen them online & they look good, but reality might be different. Was going to use blade tape on the rear sides as I have soft panniers that rub & would like to keep itlooking good.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I purchased the full kit from thetankslapper.biz for my white 2011 DL650A. It's a combination of 3M materials and a more generic vinyl based on the location of the piece. If interested be sure to watch their installation video as it is very helpful. I admit I've not installed every piece yet. Also a couple of the pieces were pretty large and unwieldy (is that the word?). Of course, I installed them myself and outdoors with some wind. I further admit I have a couple pieces (front fender for example) that I just haven't figured how they fit. After watching the video they have, you can see how the pieces will stretch and wrap around curved surfaces. So far I have my tank wrapped and the nose covered. He did short me an extra squeegee as I ordered two and received one. You only need one for the install however. So far the small refund he promised has not appeared on my charge card. That is the only real gripe with the whole experience.

Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great stuff, I put it on all my bikes. You need to do it on a warm sunny day, without any wind blowing junk around because you do not want getting debris under the vinyl. You can always remove this stuff and clean and reapply, but do it right you will never have to touch it. I wax right over the top of it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought a complete kit (all 3M, not the combination 3M and tankslapper film) for my 2011 DL650A. I mounted one piece (the triangular piece the goes on the front fender). I didn't like the way it looked when installed, so I removed it and I have the rest of the kit for sale. I paid $95 for it, including a squeegee. If anyone is interested, I'll sell the kit (Minus the one front fender piece that I tried) for $50 plus shipping.

-John

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Years ago I purchased a very low KM. St1100 that had a full kit applied by the P.O. It was a couple of days before I realised it had been applied, it was that good a job of installation.
I've not installed it on any of my bikes but I always thought I should as it is very good. I would strongly recommend it if you wish to be protected from all those small dings.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I put a Tankslapper paint protector on my Vee, under the Suzuki tank bra so it wouldn't scratch up the paint. It was the non-perminent type and was pretty easy to get on, just follow the instructions. I installed a 3-M paint protector on the front edge of my wife's new car hood about a week ago. This was not the easily removeable type. It went pretty easy, just make sure everything is spotless, most important is your hands! You don't want fingerprints on the adhesive side, even more so on something clear like headlights. Lube the holy crap out of both the area you're going to cover, and the sticky side of the sheet with water and about 5-6 drops of dove liquid soap in a spray bottle, so you can move it around. This is after you clean it and spray a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol to get the area clean. Then use a squeegie (sp?), my 3-M kit came with one in a microfiber sleve so it wouldn't scratch the film. Work from the center out and take your time, you can't hardly see it once you're done. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
10 Posts
++ on the Tankslapper product. Put it on an FJR and 22,000 miles later, the bike was like new when I sold it. Also bought 3M film and did it myself on my R1200 on the tank and areas where it was likely to get scratched. Will probably install it on the new Wee when i get a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts