StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend to clean up the lower parts of your bike? I can clean up the fairing and windshield and tank and seats and fenders, but then there are parts of the bike that are more difficult to clean (e.g. the radiator and the engine and the transmission, etc.). Yesterday I thought about buying some engine degreaser to clean up that part of the bike, but I didn't want to do it without posting on the forum here. My concern is that I don't want to mess up other parts of the bike like hoses, etc.

Anyway, my question is "What is the best way to really clean up the bike to make it look close to new"? And I'm hoping that the answer is not to clean it up with a toothbrush or something.

I don't take it offroad, so I'm likely just dealing with some road grime and gunk, so I'm hoping it won't be too tough to get it off.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't understand the question.

·
Registered
278 Posts
S100 is what I use. Make sure you read the directions and it will work great just wash it of with a hose. I by it at the local Harley dealer but I've seen it other bike shops as well.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I don't understand the question.
I understand the question.

Use WD40.

I spray the engine and the wheels to remove grime/oil/chain lube then wash thoroughly with soapy water to remove WD40.

Make sure you do the tyres.

I have had no issues doing this.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Your local bike shop has several spray on hose off products to clean your bike. An occasional cleaning forces you to take a close look at your bike and gives you a chance to spot stuff that may require attention.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I understand the question.

Use WD40.

I spray the engine and the wheels to remove grime/oil/chain lube then wash thoroughly with soapy water to remove WD40.

Make sure you do the tyres.

I have had no issues doing this.
+1 on the WD40. I don't bother to wash with soapy water afterwards. I spray a rag with WD40 and wipe down my engine, wheels, etc... By not washing afterwards the thin film that remains makes it even easier to clean next time round as the dirt doesn't stick.

·
Registered
392 Posts
washing

A soft long bristle brush, with like 3" bristles makes cleaning bike engines, suspensions, wheels etc. much easier. Wet the bike, dip the brush in the soapy water (I use car wash soap, cheap and works) brush the hard to reach spots and rinse. Works well and is far easier on your knuckles too. A leaf blower makes drying the bike much faster, just make sure the blower's intake is pointing up so it won't pick up sand etc. and blast the bike with it.

Bill H.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I am almost embarrassed to say I spent this much on a brush, but I am very satisfied. It does what I have been looking for for over three years, and does it very well:
E-Z Detail Brush

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use degreaser called Purple Power. It cleans off mostly everything grime wise. Let it dry and then spray it down with WD-40. Looks as good as new.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
WD40? really........why not pour olive oil over the whole bike, it's tastier too!................fuzz-tastic!

Apparently, you don't live in an area where Cottonwood trees thrive.....

You can't beat a bucket full of hot water, bit o' dish soap, and brushes like some have suggested. I am a big fan of old paint brushes that I've repurposed to be great bike, and bicycle, cleaners. The paint brushes hold a lot of hot sudzy water, and get into a lot of the nooks on a bike.

I have used S100 with good results, but I usually blow thru one $8.99 bottle per wash......

Anyway, I've only washed my strom once, maybe twice, since I got it last April 2010.......not much need to! They look better dirty.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
A leaf blower makes drying the bike much faster,
Aw, just use a Revlon hair dryer. Much gentler. Don't forget the hair conditioner, skin moisturizer, defoliating agent, and of course, the green tea face mask.

:green_lol: :green_lol: :green_lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I got some good inputs, looks like I need to find a good brush candidate, and decide whether I want to use soap, WD40, Purple Power, or a combination of the above.

Unfortunately, with the wet weather we're having lately, not sure when I'll be able to do it.

Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
+1 on the S100

I know a guy who sprays the engine with Spray 9 (when the engine's cool). He lets it soak for a while and hoses it off. It seems to do a good job, but my standards are probably quite low.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
the plroble with cleaning the strom is that you just can't get at all the places that dirt can find it's way to, without taking the bike half apart

I cleaned my Vee last week best I could before I dropped it off at my dealer for 60k service and new suspenders and one new shoe

yesterday I was at dealer, looked at my bike on lift with exaust and rear footpegs out of way, even though I cleaned it as thoroughly as i could, underneath the bike the only thing that was clean was the new shock

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
26 Posts
WD-40 will do no harm to rubber or plastic ! Do some background on why it was developed, and it's use. However,duct tape is a mess upon removal.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Take the bike to your local DIY carwash and bring your choice of engine degreaser--Purple stuff, Simple Green, Gunk, etc. Let the engine cool, spray the dirty parts, wash off & rinse, ride away. As soon as the chain is dry, re-lube it.

Ride. Have fun.

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
Simple Green, and it is better for the enviroment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts