I have cleaned them with brake cleaner. Especially those that still have a magnet or two or three still in them, the blast from the brake cleaner tube gets into all the tight spots. I like to wipe them with alcohol after the brake cleaner.
When I reglued my magnets with JB Weld, I wanted to do ALL of them - so I had to remove a couple that were still bonded. I tried a paint stripper with a high concentration of methylene chloride and it didn't work at all. The best way to remove those stubborn magnets is with heat. Just use a propane torch and heat up the outside of the rotor next to the magnet, and the magnet will come off with ease. Then clean up everything and reapply the magnets with JB Weld - and try to get some JB Weld in the spaces between the magnets (not easy, as the epoxy is pulled towards the magnets - can make a bit of a mess).
Adding a very small amount of JB-Weld on the magnet ends where they contact the rotor and changing to a series R/R is probably time well spent. I would also change to a Werks modified clutch at the first sign of chudder. The disparity between Vee and Wee magnet problems make me think vibration is an issue.
If you are having issues with the JB Weld getting out of the slots or just otherwise a sloppy job, wait about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after putting it in. It is starting to become more solid about then. Very easy to shape it with a razor blade and/or remove excess from where it shouldn't be! Main thing is try to get a fairly equal amount between each magnet.
Used blue painter's tape, masked everything off then JB weld with some fitted popsicle sticks lightly clamped on the top. I used "Gunscrubber" to clean off excess JB weld. Works like a champ, job done!
The "Wee's" don't seem to suffer from magnets moving around. I wouldn't bother looking. Take that time to install a voltmeter if you don't already have one. Stators are the only real issue with the DL 650 charging system and they are not any worse than other bikes.
I am currently in the middle of this project on a 02 DL 1000. Stator, R/R and the magnets. I had three magnets loose, the other three popped loose as I was cleaning the area. So I soaked the magnets in acetone and sanded the old epoxy off each magnet. Also lightly sanded the rotor and then alcohol wipe down.
Now I am wondering about attaching these back to the rotor. Should I put JB Weld in between the magnets only or should I apply a thin layer to the back as well? I remember a post of a guy using the JB putty stick and he didn't have enough clearance.
Hopefully GW, RealShelby or someone who has successfully reattached their magnets after complete separation cold weigh in.
You can put a very thin film between the magnet and the rotor. And I mean thin! Squeeze them till there is no space under the magnet. The thing that matters is the 1/4" or so space between the magnets. While you do not have to fill it all the way, try to get an even amount in each space. Halfway full is plenty good! Don't worry about making it too pretty, after about 1 1/2 hours you can take a razor blade and trim/scrape away any excess.
You MUST use the standard JB Weld in the black and red tubes. Takes 24 hours to set completely. This is a proven method with this exact material. Anything else and you are on your own......
Hey all, I am in the market for a replacement battery for my Wee. I've greatly enjoyed the benefits of Lithium based batteries in my off road bikes, but the benefits for that application are significantly greater than for a Wee since (a) the weight savings is a more significant portion of the...
I have a 2012 DL650 with OEM heated grips. The only two times I've used them, the left grip gets really toasty and the right one is only luke-warm.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Are there any suggestions for troubleshooting?
I'd like to take care of this before the weather turns.
I'm going to have to buy or fabricate some sort of tool tube/tool box to fit with the OEM miniscule side cases. I'm just beginning my search so I thought I would post a thread of inquiry to see if anybody here has come up with any good ideas. There are a plethora of great ideas for the larger...
I did alittle "cutting-up" today while in the shop.....while everyone else was out Black-Fridaying.
If you look closely on a 650 Wee, there is lots of un-used space between the rear side cowlings (L & R) and the frame. I have stowed away some spare levers, patch kit, and even a bicycle-type...
A forum community dedicated to all Suzuki Strom owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, troubleshooting, purchasing, reviews, accessories, maintenance, and more!