StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is recommended for cleaning the rotor before throwing in some JB Weld to prevent Magnet migration?
Denatured Alcohol? Naptha? brake cleaner?

uncaged

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
I have cleaned them with brake cleaner. Especially those that still have a magnet or two or three still in them, the blast from the brake cleaner tube gets into all the tight spots. I like to wipe them with alcohol after the brake cleaner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I reglued my magnets with JB Weld, I wanted to do ALL of them - so I had to remove a couple that were still bonded. I tried a paint stripper with a high concentration of methylene chloride and it didn't work at all. The best way to remove those stubborn magnets is with heat. Just use a propane torch and heat up the outside of the rotor next to the magnet, and the magnet will come off with ease. Then clean up everything and reapply the magnets with JB Weld - and try to get some JB Weld in the spaces between the magnets (not easy, as the epoxy is pulled towards the magnets - can make a bit of a mess).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

This a preventative maintenance job. The bike has less than 700 miles onit. I am going between the magnets and installing a series regulator.

uncaged

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
What bike model and year do you have?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2012 dl1000

·
38,049 Posts
Adding a very small amount of JB-Weld on the magnet ends where they contact the rotor and changing to a series R/R is probably time well spent. I would also change to a Werks modified clutch at the first sign of chudder. The disparity between Vee and Wee magnet problems make me think vibration is an issue.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Greywolf, I also plan to paste some between the magnets to further prevent migration. Trying to build a better beast...

The Werks basket from Realshelby is on my mod list also.

uncaged

·
38,049 Posts
Don't overdo the JB-Weld. A small filet will stop the magnets from moving. Apply too much and the excess will be drawn up over the magnets as the epoxy is loaded with steel filings.

·
5,145 Posts
If you are having issues with the JB Weld getting out of the slots or just otherwise a sloppy job, wait about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after putting it in. It is starting to become more solid about then. Very easy to shape it with a razor blade and/or remove excess from where it shouldn't be! Main thing is try to get a fairly equal amount between each magnet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used blue painter's tape, masked everything off then JB weld with some fitted popsicle sticks lightly clamped on the top. I used "Gunscrubber" to clean off excess JB weld. Works like a champ, job done!

uncaged

·
Registered
25 Posts
Magnet spacing

On my list for my 2006 Wee to have a look at the stator and JB Weld the magnets.

Is there a "How To" with pictures for doing the the magnets?

Do you have to worry about getting them back in the exact same place? With exact spacing?

·
5,145 Posts
On my list for my 2006 Wee to have a look at the stator and JB Weld the magnets.

Is there a "How To" with pictures for doing the the magnets?

Do you have to worry about getting them back in the exact same place? With exact spacing?

The "Wee's" don't seem to suffer from magnets moving around. I wouldn't bother looking. Take that time to install a voltmeter if you don't already have one. Stators are the only real issue with the DL 650 charging system and they are not any worse than other bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am currently in the middle of this project on a 02 DL 1000. Stator, R/R and the magnets. I had three magnets loose, the other three popped loose as I was cleaning the area. So I soaked the magnets in acetone and sanded the old epoxy off each magnet. Also lightly sanded the rotor and then alcohol wipe down.

Now I am wondering about attaching these back to the rotor. Should I put JB Weld in between the magnets only or should I apply a thin layer to the back as well? I remember a post of a guy using the JB putty stick and he didn't have enough clearance.

Hopefully GW, RealShelby or someone who has successfully reattached their magnets after complete separation cold weigh in.
Don't overdo the JB-Weld. A small filet will stop the magnets from moving.

·
5,145 Posts
You can put a very thin film between the magnet and the rotor. And I mean thin! Squeeze them till there is no space under the magnet. The thing that matters is the 1/4" or so space between the magnets. While you do not have to fill it all the way, try to get an even amount in each space. Halfway full is plenty good! Don't worry about making it too pretty, after about 1 1/2 hours you can take a razor blade and trim/scrape away any excess.

You MUST use the standard JB Weld in the black and red tubes. Takes 24 hours to set completely. This is a proven method with this exact material. Anything else and you are on your own......

·
Registered
18 Posts
10-4 Appreciate the help. I should be riding by Monday. If it completely doesn't work can I bring it to Houston?

·
5,145 Posts
No worries, it works!

·
38,049 Posts
Make sure to keep the magnet polarity sequenced in the same direction. If you lost track, a magnetic compass will identify the magnet polarity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts