StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing this for the 1st time. Looking at the owner's manual, the pictures with the intructions (for pulling the tank) are not that great. Are there service maunals out there that give better illlustrations? I've found service manuals for my wife's S50 but have yet to see any for the V-Strom's.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Take the screws out of the side plastics.
Take the little piece off that goes across the front of the tank.
Loose the two push pins.
Swear
Remove the bolt and nut that anchor the front of the tank.
Remove the bolt at the back of the tank (under the seat)
Use the retainer thingy (rectangular -held in place by the bolt) to prop the back of the tank up.
Reach underneath on disconnect the fuel and breather lines.
Lift the tank off.

Once you have done it once or twice it's a 5 minute job.

When the tank is off it's 4 screws to remove the air filter lid.

Genuine Service manuals are available through Suzuki and a couple of other outlets. There are no legitimate third party manuals available anywhere and nobody here will post any links to any auction or other sites because we don't infringe copyright.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
You can make a new filter.

If you search this site, you can find ways to make
a new filter for much less than the price of a real
Suzuki filter. I think there are three threads.

Good luck.
Keith

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I don't agree with the Suzuki policy of blowing the air filter out with a compressed air hose. I feel that it will blow openings in the filter media and allow dirt to pass through in the future. I either replace the filter or just shake it upsidedown over a garbage can to shake out dirt. If you are in a buggy area, you might put some window screen over the air inlets.

There are plans somewhere on this forum for cutting out the old filter media and gluing in a $5.79 auto air filter media into the plastic panel. Seems to work well. K&N oiled cotton gauze air filters are always popular, with Pipercross oiled foam air filters less common. Neither has any advantage except re-cleanability. They don't flow more air. They don't increase power. They don't improve fuel mileage. They cost more, but can be cleaned--which is a mess and takes time for the washed filter to dry before it is oiled. There are always discussions whether these filters allow more dirt to enter the engine. (My turbo Volvo had a dusty downstream airbox only with a K&N and never with a pleated paper filter, and I couldn't feel any power difference with the K&N.)

Always be sure you have a very good seal with the gasket around the air filter before you put the lid on and hide everything. Yes, removing the tank to get to the filter is a pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts