StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The maker of the Sea Foam product line sells a great product called Bugs B Gone that makes it quick & easy to remove Bugs while on Road Trips. It's especially handy where you get into a swarm of bugs and pull into a Gas Station wanting to restore vision thru your windscreen/helmet visors.

BBG allows you to clean the carnage off with far less chance of scratching by eliminating the need for hard scrubbing. It also helps to carry some microfiber cleaning cloths to dry your windscreen/visors when you're finished.

I'm not affiliated with Sea Foam in any way, just been using Bugs B Gone since 2008 and think it's good stuff - try some, I think you'll like it too! :thumbup:.

Bugs B Gone - Sea Foam Sales Company

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks , WeeBee ill have to try it. Ive been using Sea Foam gas treatment for years and its the best stuff out there. I use lemon Pledge on my windshield and it seems to help keep the bugs from sticking so bad.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Never heard of Bugs Be Gone, but it sounds like a great product. I've been using a clean microfiber cloth soaked in water as hot as I can get it. Bugs melt off right away. When staying at a motel/hotel, I always ask the desk clerk if they have some clean rags I can use instead of the towels in the bathroom. They are always happy to give me a supply. That and hot water and I'm good to go. Follow up with Plexus or Lemon Pledge.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem - just doing my best to be a contributing member of this great Community!

FYI - O'Reilly's Auto Parts carries Sea Foam's Bugs B Gone in my area and has locations in 42 out of 50 States so if you want some, try an O'Reilly's first. Their pricing is much better than trying to buy the product online.

Another tip - I always carry a small 1-2oz pump-spray bottle of BBG in my tankbag so I have it whenever I need it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard of Bugs Be Gone, but it sounds like a great product. I've been using a clean microfiber cloth soaked in water as hot as I can get it. Bugs melt off right away. When staying at a motel/hotel, I always ask the desk clerk if they have some clean rags I can use instead of the towels in the bathroom. They are always happy to give me a supply. That and hot water and I'm good to go. Follow up with Plexus or Lemon Pledge.
Great tip! If there's no hot water available, BBG would be the next best thing :fineprint:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'll look for it but reading the MSDS it appears to be a less than 1% solution of Potassium Hydroxide. Heck perhaps I can use it to make some biodiesel or liquid soap. :yesnod:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just get an early start before the dew has evaporated (assuming dew) and hit it with a towel. Better a towel with hot water and then dry. If you're nice do as suggested and ask for rags. Otherwise at least stay away from the road grease areas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have always kept a wet small face cloth sized rag in a ziplock for the windshield and visor. Clean with the rag and then with Plexus which is made for plastic but not great on dried bugs unless you let it sit for awhile.

I've been hesitant to experiment with other cleaners on the windshields.

Good to know that bbg is windshield/visor safe.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I soak a micro fiber rag in Pledge, seal it in a ziplock sandwich baggie, and keep the baggie in a jacket pocket. It stays 'wet' inside the baggie for a long time. Fast and easy clean-up, little to carry.
Using Pledge makes a waxy coating that's harder for schmoo to stick to, IMO. I use it on my helmet, windscreen, and the bikes' colored plastics.

I saw a fresh traded-in bike at a dealership with a wet towel draped over the front of it. Shop guy said re-hydrating the guts is the easiest way to get them off. I think letting it 'soak' is more important than the temp of the water. This also works on face shield - a wet washcloth stuck on it for a few hours will do wonders - that's what I used to do before I started the Pledge routine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been using Bugslide for years, great stuff. Bugs just melt off. If I'm at home I just use a small towel and pore hot, not boiling water and let it sit on the bugs. Again they just come off. Old pilot trick I've been told..
And the kicker was I met a geezer in Faribanks on a goldwing. He uses a dilute solution of Peroxide and water!! Works great and I think that's whats in Bugslide. Little spritz and the bugs just bubble off.. Then I get to thinking, shoot, we used peroxide to get dried blood off of equipment in the hospital. DUH.. The peroxide eats up the proteins and lets you wash them away.. Too simple...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
While gassing up, stretching, eating or shaving the Smurf, lay some wet paper towels on the windsheild and let it sit in the sun.

Peel the paper towels off.

DO NOT RUB WITH THE PAPER TOWELS!

Many of the bugs will pull off with the paper towels.

The rest are softened-up and will wipe off more easily with Pledge and a micro fibre cloth.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
When at home, I use hydrogen peroxide for the bugs. I think a bottle of it costs just over a dollar at Wal-Mart. I keep a sprayer on it. It reacts with the protein in the bugs and they just melt and slide off with a damp cloth. A small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide would be a handy thing to pack on a long trip, but getting the clean rags at the motel/hot water trick is just as easy and I don't have to pack it with me. The hydrogen peroxide would be best when camping, where rags and hot water aren't handy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've found that a plain white 100% cotton t-shirt works best for me.

Just soak a corner of the shirt with a little water and get the windshield or face shield wet, wait about 30 seconds, then wipe off. Bugs come off easy enough. Use the rest of the dry part of the shirt to wipe off water and buff clear. Works as well on week old bugs as fresh ones.

I use this technique to wipe down the bike too... oh, well, not the strom, just the FJR...

No need for cleaners, etc.

·
Registered
824 Posts
we get love bugs here in FL., May and Sept. Sometimes 10 miles (or less) will get your windshield completelty obscure (car or bike) and they get all over and into any part of a bike or car. If left untreated, they will eat the paint.
I have used "Original bike Sprits Spray Cleaner and Polish" for a number of years. I started using it for a fast shine and windshield clean. Tried it on the love bugs and it is magic. Use with a micro fiber cloth and it takes the bugs right off, faceshield too.
For a shine (when you're not bug cleaning) a spray and wipe, let it dry to a haze and after you wipe it off it's like you waxed it.
Most bike shops carry it, about $7.99 for a 14 oz. spray can, black top and pinkish label.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
we get love bugs here in FL., May and Sept.
You guys would know.

I think I just missed the September Season last year.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
Asking the Motel clerk for towels works. They are happy you asked and are generous.
I use Protect-All after using a wet rag.
I usually wait a day or two though. I want folks to know I've been out Adventuring!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
we all ride dirty bikes

We're probably a very tough group to sell cleaning products to. Most of us just ride dirty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When at home, I use hydrogen peroxide for the bugs. I think a bottle of it costs just over a dollar at Wal-Mart. I keep a sprayer on it. It reacts with the protein in the bugs and they just melt and slide off with a damp cloth. A small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide would be a handy thing to pack on a long trip, but getting the clean rags at the motel/hot water trick is just as easy and I don't have to pack it with me. The hydrogen peroxide would be best when camping, where rags and hot water aren't handy.
Yup, H2O2 will disolve the bugs without damaging the paint, plastic or glass. Wait 5 minutes then spray with a hose. No rags needed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts