StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the threads on chain maint but the one question for me is cleaning while on the road. Lube with Dupont Teflon is a given. Some say not to clean but how about when the chain is covered mud etc.. We will be going to Alaska so the chain will get really dirty. Been 30 years since I had a chain driven bike and they are a heck of a lot better now for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I carried wd40, a brush(stiff tooth brushes), and a can of chain lube. We did the haul road, the Cassiar, and a few more stretches of dirt. The chain doesn't get "that" bad from all the roads, but it was nice clean it up a bit with the wd40 and a brush. Wipe it off and lube'er up.
Have fun out there.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I use a "Grunge Brush" and cut the handle down a bit to make it more compact. WD 40 or kerosene makes quick work of cleaning it at a gas stop or whatever.

Then follow it up dry with Teflon.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I just spray WD-40 on a rag, wipe the chain down, and lube it properly.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I use the DuPont lube and never clean my chain. A new application also does some cleaning running through the Kettenmax brushes or a rag to catch the excess and wipe the surface of the chain with said lube soaked rag. The stuff dries so doesn't attract dirt.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I love my ScottOiler.
It cleans and lubes my chain as I ride and makes my chain drive as maintenance-free as the shaft drive on my BMW.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Read my TAT report, cleaned my chain every night with brush and oiled it with some shit... Recommendation. Do not use WD-40 - it attracts shit. USE TEFLON based lube and don't clean unless it covered with dirt. AND NEVER USE BRUSH - you'll ruin the o-ring... Don't listen nobody else... There is grease behind o-rings and spraying it won't lubricate the inside but will help only to have a lubed barrier contact sprocket/chain...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I use the DuPont lube and never clean my chain. A new application also does some cleaning running through the Kettenmax brushes or a rag to catch the excess and wipe the surface of the chain with said lube soaked rag. The stuff dries so doesn't attract dirt.
^^^^ What ever GreyWolf says! I mean it, no sarcasm (I follow GreyWolf's tips - why re-invent the wheel?)

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I am sure a non metal brush will not hurt o rings

I don't think there is any practical way to get off anything but cosmetic surface dirt.

The theory I ascribe too is everything remains hunky dory until the o rings wear out then death within a 1000 miles.

Yes wd40 purpose is to leave a water resistant film that attracts dirt... and the combination of grit and wax is a good cutting agent

If you feel the urge I would say kero or ATF

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, because of the advice from the forum I am using the Dupont Teflon. Love this forum, learn alot.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I spoke with the tech support at Dupont and they told me not to clean the chain with any oil based products because it doesn't let the Dupont Teflon chain lube stick to the chain properly. Use the Dupont motorcycle degreaser for chains and sprockets. Spray on and wipe off with a rag. I get it at the local super Wallyworld, works great.

·
Registered
333 Posts
FWIW, I've gotten scolded on two different occasions on two different trips for doing chain maintenance in a parkinglot. One time was for spraying lube on a chain in a motel parking lot in PEI, and once was for spraying chain cleaner and wiping with a rag at a gas station in Vermont. Both times I was an an abandoned corner away from cars, but sharp eyed employees, who no doubt were not riders, asked me to stop. So pick your locations with care.
Chris in Boston

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
On the road, I'll use the squeeze bottles of DuPont lube. I use vinyl or nitrile gloves and a rag for application. Holding the rag under the bottom chain run, I'll apply the lube on top of the run and move along the chain by pulling it with the rag. Any excess lube is absorbed by the rag. After completing the chain rotation application, I'll run the chain around a few times through the wet rag. Finally, I'll peel the left glove off over itself starting at the wrist and covering the rag with it. Then I'll do the same with the right glove. That ends the job with the rag encased in the gloves to be disposed of cleanly and the only place that receives lube is the chain.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
FWIW, I've gotten scolded on two different occasions on two different trips for doing chain maintenance in a parkinglot. One time was for spraying lube on a chain in a motel parking lot in PEI, and once was for spraying chain cleaner and wiping with a rag at a gas station in Vermont. Both times I was an an abandoned corner away from cars, but sharp eyed employees, who no doubt were not riders, asked me to stop. So pick your locations with care.
Chris in Boston
I usually do it on gravel for this reason.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
On a strictly regular paved road trip I use the teflon spray like most everybody else. However, if you ride in AK or anywhere else where they use that calcium chloride slurry as a road surface -- and especially just after they lay it down when it's still wet -- you will probably need something else to get if off before it turns to concrete, which won't do either the chain or sprockets any good.

Once it dried I could not get it off with a pressure washer, although the area in question was on the frame and radiator (shaft drive bike).

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Man I feel sorry for all the hard work you guys are doing; not to mention the expensive high-tech lubes you purchase.

I fill my ScottOiler touring reservoir with ATF once a year, and I don't think about my chain at all.
I ride in all weathers, and the ScottOiler keeps my chain lubed (and clean, since the dirt flings off with the lube) through it all.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Couldn't find dupont so I ended up with pj1 or something. My (new 6 weeks ago) chain is having kinking issues after the Dalton and other not-so-paved roads. Dirt gets EVERYWHERE. I cleaned it as best i could with the brush, relubed, worked for a few hundred miles then started kinking again, no luck. Gonna try white gas+brush+my buddy's foaming chain lube which he claims also cleans, after I take a shower.

I've been better about brushing my chain clean before lubing, but I've had more chain issues than either of the other guys on my ride.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Man I feel sorry for all the hard work you guys are doing; not to mention the expensive high-tech lubes you purchase.

I fill my ScottOiler touring reservoir with ATF once a year, and I don't think about my chain at all.
I ride in all weathers, and the ScottOiler keeps my chain lubed (and clean, since the dirt flings off with the lube) through it all.
I don't like auto-oilers. I feel sorry for your countersprocket area, which if you do the kind of riding I do, is a morass of oily, dirty crap from the fling. My chain runs so clean with dry lube I don't even run a chain guard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts