StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cleaned and lubed my chain a few times since purchasing my bike. I have 700 miles on it now. My method for cleaning and lubing the chain is a family affair. I hold the bike on the side stand, my son rotates the back tire and my wife does the cleaning and lubing. Does anyone have a better method for just one person? I know a centerstand will make it easier, but aside from that, I'd like to hear what others are doing. I love my Wee Strom.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Order a LoobMan or similar product. That will keep the chain lubed. I haven't cleaned my chain yet and the bike is now over a year old. It does have 20,000 plus miles on the original chain so I must be doing something correctly 8)

Tightline said:
I have cleaned and lubed my chain a few times since purchasing my bike. I have 700 miles on it now. My method for cleaning and lubing the chain is a family affair. I hold the bike on the side stand, my son rotates the back tire and my wife does the cleaning and lubing. Does anyone have a better method for just one person? I know a centerstand will make it easier, but aside from that, I'd like to hear what others are doing. I love my Wee Strom.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I reckon the only way to do it solo sans-centerstand is roll-lube, roll-lube, etc. My wife would tell me where to stick it if I asked her to help lube my chain so a centerstand is mandatory equipment on my bikes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have read on the net somewhere that a guy uses a "come-along" to lift the rear end- making the rear tire spin freely. I guess the bike was still stable but I don't know how. Center stand would be worth the money and a lot easier than lifting it with a come-along.

I do not have a centerstand and I never will, the Strom is heavy enough already. Slowly cleaning, lubing, turning, repeating isn't all that bad.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Chain lubing and adjusting is the main reason I got a center stand with the bike. The weight is down low so it isn't an issue. I primarily use it when parked in the Bat Cave. Ride On.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone out there use a race stand as opposed to the mounted centerstand for bike maintenance? I am considering getting one as it doesn't impact cornering while I ride but will hold the bike vertical with the rear wheel off the ground for maintaining it.

BJH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had used a piece of 4X4 cut to the appropriate length on one side and the side stand on the other. Recently I got a race stand (goes under the swing arm, push down, bike goes up) for $50, guy has a shop, had too many stands, sold it cheap instead of leaving it in a back room. Now I need some swingarm spools and I am set.

Albie, the quickstand looks good, I think on this board or the VStrom Forum someone made something like that using 3" PVC pipe.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This may be straying OT but has anyone found or fabricated a stand to raise the front of the bike for front wheel/fork related projects?

·
Registered
91 Posts
BJH,

I use a race stand with my Strom, I've had it for years, so I haven't bothered getting a centrestand. It works great! It's no problem at all to put the bike on it by yourself, even with loaded panniers and topbox. I pretty much park the bike that way every night, it makes a bit more room in the garage, and the cat likes to be able to sleep on the seat without sliding off the left side all the time.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'll second an endorsement for Loobman. Had it on my bike for over a year and still loving it. I do like to clean my chain every 2k just to get the build up off it but its not really necessary with this system. The best $50 I've spent on my Wee-Strom!

Wingman

·
Registered
255 Posts
TomG said:
This may be straying OT but has anyone found or fabricated a stand to raise the front of the bike for front wheel/fork related projects?
Oh, I like this idea. I'm sure it would be simple to make if you have welding equipment (which I don't). There's probably something like this out there I'd think.

Here's one: http://www.bizrate.com/buy/noncat_prod_details__oid--405606433.html

I'm gonna stick with my home made contraption that I made out of 1" pipe. Works pretty well.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tightline said:

I just bought one of these. Waiting for it in the mail. At $40, MUCH cheaper than a centerstand:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3395

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the great replies.

Hey there my fellow Stromtroopers. Thank you for all the good suggestions on how to lube my chain without making it a family affair. I will look into the portable stands. They look perfect. I Just put 100 miles of country roads on my bike today in 78 degree weather and blue skies. What exactly is it that makes cornering so much fun? :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
TomG said:
Oh, I like this idea. I'm sure it would be simple to make if you have welding equipment (which I don't). There's probably something like this out there I'd think.

Here's one: http://www.bizrate.com/buy/noncat_prod_details__oid--405606433.html

I'm gonna stick with my home made contraption that I made out of 1" pipe. Works pretty well.
It looks like that one still needs the front tire on to work. I'm thinking about making some replacements for the "cup" that goes on my floor jack. I'd like something that would hit all the secure spots on the DL's underside. I'll post some pics if I ever get off my lazy butt and do it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What are you all using to clean the chain. I've been in the habit of spraying WD-40, then wiping it off before lubing. This is the only idea that I've had coming from a shafted scooter.
Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
mikevstrom said:
What are you all using to clean the chain. I've been in the habit of spraying WD-40, then wiping it off before lubing. This is the only idea that I've had coming from a shafted scooter.
Regards,
Mike
That's what I do, too. There are some that say WD-40 will booger up the o-rings but I've never heard of an actual verified case. I believe the o-rings are nitrile rubber which is pretty resistant to solvents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use pit-bull stands front and rear wiht great results....Its true about taking them with you though, but I dont go on long trips often enough to worry about lubing the chain...and when I do i just roll the beast up the parking lot of the hotel or where ever, which pretty much sucks, I just got used to cleaning/maintanence with the bike up on the pit-bulls....its great, almost like having it up on one of those dealer lifts...pretty high.....high enough i can use my little sears rolling stool to clean the wheels chain ect...without bending over or getting the knee dirty.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts