Strom Trooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I was able to get to the air box without removing the cowl under the fairing - one less step!....just loosening the all bolts on the sides of fairing, and removing the top plastic/metal collar connector thing got enough wiggle room to remove the front tank mount bolt, and extract the tank.

This picture shows the area you have to be very careful with - there's a lot going on with how the fasteners and the fairing plastic go together - one bad move and you could break the plastic [$$$]

Don't forget to wrap the bushing for the front tank mount bolt with electrical tape to eliminate the "where is that coming from?" squeak in the fairing area when you hit a bump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWESOME!!! that was a good tip!!! Thank you very much jokermtb!!!
I will have to ride a bit to empty my fuel tank, that will make it easier to remove!!!Great!!
thank you Greywolf!!!

·
38,049 Posts
Be careful trying to remove the tank with the cowlings in place. It's easy to scratch things unless you have two people bending parts away from the tank. I'd rather take the cowlings off. Also figure you ought to learn how to do it. One tip is to put some silicone grease on the rubber circle in the picture. The plastic part it mates with likes to punch the rubber part out of the hole rather than slip into it if you are not careful.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
:mrgreen: :hurray: :mrgreen: :hurray:

I ruefully smile at my memories at once having to do this.

She may be ugly, but she is easy to work on.

·
38,049 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Your bike is far to be ugly man!!! I like it that way very much!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Why, thank you!! You are one of the few who see it that way. It must be because you are a smart person; you live in Québec, my favorite place to ride!

If you would like to read about how the motorcycle was modified, here is a link: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=49236

The photo was shot, (sorry that it is blurry), just south of Victoriaville, Québec.

Barry

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Be careful trying to remove the tank with the cowlings in place. It's easy to scratch things unless you have two people bending parts away from the tank. I'd rather take the cowlings off. Also figure you ought to learn how to do it.
Yes, I agree. But, I was in a hurry and didn't feel like doing the cowl under the fairing. I kept thinking to myself "You are so close to breaking some plastic!" Good thing it was hot that day and the plastic was especially flexible!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why, thank you!! You are one of the few who see it that way. It must be because you are a smart person; you live in Québec, my favorite place to ride!

If you would like to read about how the motorcycle was modified, here is a link: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=49236

The photo was shot, (sorry that it is blurry), just south of Victoriaville, Québec.

Barry
I guess you like to ride here because the roads are rough!! I totally understand!!!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I guess you like to ride here because the roads are rough!! I totally understand!!!
Yes, that's part of it.......

The other part is the people. I just absolutely love listening to your French language being spoken. I struggle and struggle with it; trying to learn. But, I am drawn back, again and again, by the people and your culture.......and thousands and thousands of miles of rough roads.

à bientôt!

B.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Cleaning air filter, Where do I start??
Stock filter? Start by buying a new filter.
K&N filter? Start by buying the K&N "Recharge" cleaning and re-oiling kit.

Or, glue in a section from an auto air filter:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=43005

I do not like Suzuki's suggestion of blowing the old filter with compressed air. If the air stream is too strong, it can blow too-large holes in the filter media.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Or, glue in a section from an auto air filter:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=43005
I keep "rotating" them in and out of the bike. I take one out, and put the "new" one in. Then I cut the old filter off of the plastic retainer and glue another one in place. I slide the unit into a baggie and it sits on a shelf waiting for its turn in the "box" again.

B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts