StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cleanable Air Filter (K&N versus Uniflow Filter) versus finding stock filters

Hi folks:

Writing you from Guanajuato, Mexico. I'm looking at my options in terms of air filters. I don't need one yet; but will in about 6000 miles.

1) Try to find a replacement OEM filter in Mexico (this is proving to be difficult).
2) Buy a cleanable air filter (K&N or Uniflow or other foam type filter) that I can actually clean. Then have it shipped to the USA and then put in the package of stuff my mom is sending me soon.

I'm leaning towards (2) as I don't want to run the engine past the point where the air filter needs to be replaced.

I'm also curious what you folks think in terms of which cleanable air filter you might go with and why?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
K&N

I did the K&N air filter, have yet to get the cleaning stuff. The filter comes with a 1million mile gaurentee.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
K&N and BMC are oiled cotton gauze filters. Pipercross is oiled foam. If you get any of these, you'll also need the cleaning are re-oiling kit. Actually, you can clean them with any good degreaser. Air filter oil is tacky and not the same as engine oil.

How about having a Suzuki or similar (but cheaper) HiFlo air filter mailed to you when you need one if you can't get one from a local shop?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts