StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 09 wee, I have about 300 miles on it. I love it! I'm not sure if it's normal but it's making this clangy metal noise when I hit around 4-5,000 RPM. I can't figure out what's causing it... Any ideas or advice??

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Clangy metal noise:jawdrop: Back to the dealer/warranty ASAP.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you have crash bars installed? I found that they cause major vibrations/noises at around that RPM level.....when I removed them, the sounds/vibrations went away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do

I do have the crash bars installed, and come to think of it, I took the bike out for about 200 miles before I had them installed and it didn't make that nosie. Oh man, it's really anoying, I wonder if theres any way to get rid of that awful noise..

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I do have the crash bars installed, and come to think of it, I took the bike out for about 200 miles before I had them installed and it didn't make that nosie. Oh man, it's really anoying, I wonder if theres any way to get rid of that awful noise..
Sure. Remove the crashbars; Those things are useless on a streetbike, and prove that you're an idiot for thinking that the wee is a dirtbike. Come to think of it, I don't see crash bars on any dirtbikes either.

Maybe they're just a fashion thing, like buying a Ducati and never riding it...

I think that crashbars manage to make the bike ugly, and the rider look silly, while at the same time performing no function at all.
I'd install them on my bike if givi included mounting hardware for their e21 cases, but since they don't, I won't.

My wife might install them if she tires of buying me new turn signals and clutch levers (she's learning on my bike while i ride the beemer), but she hasn't dropped it yet.

So crash bars are a lose-lose thing:
They vibrate, make noise, add weight to the bike, and they offer protection from anyting the bike is ever likely to encounter.
If you're into dropping your bike, you need training wheels or a different bike, not crash bars.

It's just my opinion though; I have no facts to back it up ;)

G

·
Sure. Remove the crashbars; Those things are useless on a streetbike, and prove that you're an idiot for thinking that the wee is a dirtbike.

They vibrate, make noise, add weight to the bike, and they offer protection from anyting the bike is ever likely to encounter.
If you're into dropping your bike, you need training wheels or a different bike, not crash bars.

You're a "Cup half full" kind a guy....ever optimistic and walking on the sunny side of the street.
Don't ever change !!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
In counter point to Duck's negative opinion...

I have crash bars (SW Motech) on my bike; they don't vibrate at all and they protected the bike from damage in a ~30mph spill on a loose gravel (more like small rocks) road. I'm very happy with them and am happy with the Strom's performance on unpaved roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have some type buzzy metal noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere on or just below the handlebars. It sounds like the ignition key-ring vibrating. I am sure that is not what it is. I also have crash bars, and wish the previous owner would have put them on to protect the plastic from his low speed slide. Anyway, I heard the noise before and after I put the bars on. My Type-A self REALLY wants to find this noise, and I have had the front apart making sure everything is secure. Just recently, though, I have taken the advise of so many on this forum and made the noise go away with ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
BEWARE!

...of the Duck!

With only 13 posts under your belt, I'm not sure how many of his posts you've read. He seems like he may be intelligent, but he can sure be one-sidedly opinionated.

So take what you like and leave the rest!

The plastic on your bike is expensive!

If you dump it, even going slow, you are likely to have an expensive venture on your hands to replace the plastic, unless of course, you go the way of Barry (aka BlackLab), or have crash bars.

If they are noisy, there are ways around it, or different crash bars. Search on this sight and see what you can do to counteract that noise...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sure. Remove the crashbars; Those things are useless on a streetbike, and prove that you're an idiot for thinking that the wee is a dirtbike. Come to think of it, I don't see crash bars on any dirtbikes either.

Maybe they're just a fashion thing, like buying a Ducati and never riding it...

I think that crashbars manage to make the bike ugly, and the rider look silly, while at the same time performing no function at all.
I'd install them on my bike if givi included mounting hardware for their e21 cases, but since they don't, I won't.

My wife might install them if she tires of buying me new turn signals and clutch levers (she's learning on my bike while i ride the beemer), but she hasn't dropped it yet.

I kinda agree with the Duck, but if you want a skid plate, you have to have crash bars. I want the skid plate with all the gravel and rock roads that I ride so it was necessary. I didnt buy the crash bars because of intentions of wrecking.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If it hasn't occurred to you already, do make sure your chain is properly adjusted. It can be quite symphonic if it's out of whack.

My S.W. Motech crash bar (old style) makes no noise and is not ugly. It 's there to protect the radiator in a tipover, not the plastic (oh, and to provide me with a spiffy place to mount my Whelen lights).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most crash bars will save the side panels in a tipover or fall. Mine have even saved the precariously positioned front signals a few times.

My SW-motech rally bars (new style) don't make a rattle noise, IIRC givi bars were notorious for this though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the buzzy noise as well. Its the plastic covers on the windshield. Those long strips that cover the mount holes. Its not metal just thought Id throw that out there. I hate those little noises. I had the same thing on my VEE I put som rubber uner there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts