StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm installing a cigarette lighter receptacle to power some accessories.I wonder where is a good place to cut in the hot wire to supply the correct
12 V and amperage. don't wanna melt anything from too much amperage

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
There's a power block on the left-hand side of the battery, under a plastic cover - it's got two big bolts. Run some decent gauge wire from that (gives you both + and - ), and use a fuse in your wiring (5A, 10A - whatever is appropriate for the gauge wire you use). You can get a blade fuse receptacle at most auto parts or hardware stores, that way you don't have to stock multiple different kinds of fuses.

If you want switched power, you can find a supply to the fuse block. The block can pull free from its mounting, and you can access the underside. Pick a supply wire to something switched other than the low-beam fuse (that switches off when hi-beams are on). You can determine which side is the supply to the fuse with the wiring diagram, or perhaps more easily by using a voltmeter, pulling the fuse, and seeing which side of the fuse receptacle reads 12V when the ignition is on.

Once you've found the hot supply wire, tap into it with one of the 3M wire taps (or similar). Again, make sure to fuse that line.

Apparently there's also a power connector for the OEM heated grips hidden somewhere in the cowling - already switched and fused. Search the site or the web to get details on that (I found out about it after I'd already done all my forward wiring - go figure).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Power hookup

There's a power block on the left-hand side of the battery, under a plastic cover - it's got two big bolts. ...
I've got a 650 K7 ABS and am trying to find the hookup. Maybe I'm blind, could you give me another hint where those terminals are? For the moment I've connected the cigarette lighter to the main battery poles, but that's a bit crude and in the way. A picture would be fantastic.

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
As always, when wiring electrical accessories, I recommend an auxillary fuse block and auxillary ground buss, spagetti centering on battery terminals is always troublesome

I prefer switched power personally, but it's easy enuf to have some or all of your terminals on the fuseblock always hot and some switched

I have my 12v power receptical wired with 14ga. wire & 15 amp (blue) fuse

stay away from wire taps, especially the blue scotchlock thingies

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's a power block on the left-hand side of the battery, under a plastic cover - it's got two big bolts. Run some decent gauge wire from that (gives you both + and - ), and use a fuse in your wiring (5A, 10A - whatever is appropriate for the gauge wire you use). You can get a blade fuse receptacle at most auto parts or hardware stores, that way you don't have to stock multiple different kinds of fuses.

If you want switched power, you can find a supply to the fuse block. The block can pull free from its mounting, and you can access the underside. Pick a supply wire to something switched other than the low-beam fuse (that switches off when hi-beams are on). You can determine which side is the supply to the fuse with the wiring diagram, or perhaps more easily by using a voltmeter, pulling the fuse, and seeing which side of the fuse receptacle reads 12V when the ignition is on.

Once you've found the hot supply wire, tap into it with one of the 3M wire taps (or similar). Again, make sure to fuse that line.

Apparently there's also a power connector for the OEM heated grips hidden somewhere in the cowling - already switched and fused. Search the site or the web to get details on that (I found out about it after I'd already done all my forward wiring - go figure).

I'm searching for a good way to have switched power to my Serius. I did look at the fuse box and it has 2 "empty" fuses of 10 & 15. Is this the box that you mentioned above ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts