StromTrooper banner

Circular Saw Sound from my Clutch Engaging?

1878 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  DanielS
Hey so I got a weird sound when I engage my clutch. Here is a sample bit:
Clutch Noise V-Strom DL650 2008 - To sum up it sounds a bit like there is another a craftsman tool inside my bike when I engage my clutch.

I laid the bike down and oddly didn't notice the sound until the 2nd time taking it out for a ride.

I pulled the clutch out and it looks fine, no broken parts, measured the plate thickness and they checked out. No other readily apparent problems. Thought about just replacing the whole basket to take care of the problem.
It seems logical to me if the noise is when the clutch is engaged then it shouldn't be a problem with the transmission... right?
Just wanted a second opinion before buying parts.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Administrator
Queensland, Australia
11,196 Posts
I was surprised at how the squeal continues a little after you have released the clutch, making me think that it is not the actual clutch at all.
Could there be a stone etc caught somewhere as a result of going down? Did you remove and check in and under the clutch actuator?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for the link Daniel! I ready Randy's post and the more I thought about it I was leaning towards it as plausible.
But before I put it back together I decided to lookin into Gdrew suggestion so last night I stripped it down to look at the bearing, figured I'd scratch that off the list since I was 90% there anyway. Bear seems fine. Now to put it back together and follow this new lead.

· Registered
2 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the link Daniel! I ready Randy's post and the more I thought about it I was leaning towards it as plausible.
But before I put it back together I decided to lookin into Gdrew suggestion so last night I stripped it down to look at the bearing, figured I'd scratch that off the list since I was 90% there anyway. Bear seems fine. Now to put it back together and follow this new lead.
Just happy to help! Do tell us how it goes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts