StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last few days reading on this forum and VSRI about the clutch chudder problem that the 1000's have and trying to decide if that's what I have on my 650. I have a 2008 with a bit over 26k miles on it.

My description:
It happens at two specific times only. When I take off from a standing start and when cruising at about 3800 rpm. I feel it through the foot pegs as a slight clunk and can hear it a little bit as a knocking sound. It doesn't appear to affect performance, but I do notice it. When taking off from a standing start it only happens in that very initial moment - probably 10 feet of travel and then it's gone as the bike winds up before shifting into second. Kind of a "thunk-thunk" and then it's gone. Then when I'm cruising at a steady speed at about 3800 it sort of randomly comes and goes. Not exactly a pattern, but almost. Above 4k and it disappears. I've noticed nothing while at idle - clutch out or out in neutral or clutch in when in gear.

I noticed it because I just changed out the stator and regulator/rectifier last week and was sort of hyper-alert as I test rode it. But I think the noise was there before, and I wasn't really noticing it. Thinking it might be related to a loose chain (which was too loose), I adjusted my chain to where the manual says it should be. It helped a little, but that may be subjective. Another factor is that I had new tires put on the bike and put the wheels back on myself. I saw on a different thread that described "wheel chudder", but it seems to me that would be noticeable more often.

If it is indeed clutch chudder as has been described on the 1000's, I'm told via the threads that this is not a "stranding" issue (ie. won't leave you stranded). If so, I can ignore it until I have some extra $$$ to get it taken care of (perhaps by realshelby). If not, and it's something else, then I need to figure out what it is.

Anyways, I would appreciate any thoughts from the group on this.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Echoe the two previous posters - if you got over 26K out of the chain, it's overdue for replacement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the third owner, picking it up at 19k. It could be the original chain. Do you guys recommend changing the sprockets at the same time?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took a flashlight out to the garage to inspect the chain more closely last night and found the bits of red on the chain exactly like I saw from an image on another thread here (can't remember which one) that Greywolf had pointed out. So I will likely be taking advantage of the chain/sprocket combo that SV Racing sells, unless someone else has a better idea.

UPDATE:
Here are pictures of the front and rear sprockets. They don't look excessively worn, but the service manual says to change them out as a set: sprockets and chain. Comments?

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Cush drive rubbers. At start up they are subject to the motor pulsing and at 3800 RPM you may be at an in between speed. Sort of engaged sometimes like up hill but not other times like down hill causing you to feel the slop in warn rubbers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
From the pictures I see shark fins for teeth on the sprockets. I believe the sprockets are toast.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Teeth look toast to me also.

One quick way to check out chain and sprocket wear is to adjust chain a little to the loose side...about 1.0 to 1.2 in. Then roll bike back and forth. If the chain is more noisy and rides up the sprocket teeth in reverse than forward...its toast, the whole fur ball is toast. Its even a better check if the wheel is off the ground as you can feel the difference spinning each direction.

Chain and sprockets together...repeat this as you replace something that looks OK.

On my dirt bikes (when I was too young to know better) we would run a sprocket until the chain hooked the teeth badly then flip her around and run it the other way until the teeth came off and the chain jumped what was left of the sprocket teeth. Then we would either toe it or push it home. Of course we would only replace what puked.......Ahh, misguided youth is wonderful.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'm the third owner, picking it up at 19k. It could be the original chain. Do you guys recommend changing the sprockets at the same time?
In your second picture of the rear sprocket you can see some shark-finning. The problem is that this will accelerate wear on the new chain and the sprockets will also likely reach the end of their life before the new chain. Then you have to change the sprockets. So now you have new sprockets and a worn chain. Do you see the logic now?:headbang: If your hesitating because it means removing the CS nut, then just read some of the very good threads on it first. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/64853-front-sprocket-removal-heating-ok.html I would guess that yours should come off OK by the look of it and the low mileage and age.:yesnod:

·
Registered
969 Posts
From the pictures I see shark fins for teeth on the sprockets. I believe the sprockets are toast.
True enough on the front sprocket. I thought that might be perspective of the camera since the rear does not show as much deformation. On closer look. the side pattern created from the chain has a much more distinct outline to it on the rear as apposed to the front which has a smeared look to it. I'd still check the cush rubbers while your in there though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks everybody for the comments. This is why I love this forum. I don't have a ton of experience with maintaining a bike. The other two bikes I had in my youth both didn't remain in my possession long enough to do any maintenance on them. I can read and I'm not afraid to ask questions.

I was planning from the get-go to replace sprockets and chain at the same time, but I was looking for a little education from you all on what constitutes wear. The rubber dampeners are relatively inexpensive and I will replace those at the same time.

I don't mind at all doing the work (I like it actually), but I like to know the "why" of an action while doing it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The sprockets are toast , I agree. The Cain is harder to tell as you really have to examine the links for twists funny stiffer areas. Blairs Chain and sprockets are fine they are what I am running

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered the new chain/sprocket set from Blair's SV Racing site this morning. Headed over to my friend's place today to borrow his chain tool that he got from Blair. He did the same thing I'm planning to do a couple weeks ago. He too has a DL650.

Too bad I didn't think about this last week when I was in Seattle. Blaine is just up on the border and I could have saved $12 shipping. :mrgreen: (of course I might have spent that much on gas)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts