StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, the CHP has pulled the lane splitting guidelines they put out in early 2014. I'm not sure how long ago they pulled it but here's the link where they used to be and the explanation as to why the guidelines are gone now.

California Motorcyclist Safety Program

My understanding was the CHP had consulted with motorcycle groups and others to draft the guidelines. Can anyone here comment on why they were pulled? :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
By and large, motorcycle safety programs are against lane splitting. Also, what's with traffic guidelines? Stopping for a red light isn't a guideline?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
By and large, motorcycle safety programs are against lane splitting...
Not in California. Those of us who live in California know that, when done responsibly, lane splitting is an awesome way to move around and get ahead of the slow moving traffic. That includes seasoned riders and professional instructors.

...Also, what's with traffic guidelines? Stopping for a red light isn't a guideline?
No, stopping at a red light is a LAW/RULE, not a guideline. Huge difference.

Anyway, that subject has been hot on the internet lately. There was a guy suing the CHP for publishing those guidelines (they were a great set of suggestions). The problem is that, at some point, the riders and even the CHP officials started taking those guidelines as rules instead of mere suggestions (remember, there are no set laws concerning lane splitting in California), so they had to take them off from the official CHP website to avoid misinterpretations. Those guidelines can still be consulted on the AMA website and many other places on the internet.

- Ofir

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
If lane splitting was legal in Va. I still wouldn't do it. There's just something not right about it. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If lane splitting was legal in Va. I still wouldn't do it. There's just something not right about it. But that's just me.
I was just like you before I moved to California, I thought it was dangerous and silly. It actually took me a few months before I dared doing it myself... but now I'm a convert. Lane splitting is awesome! :D
Last week I went back to Utah on my bike and it was just frustrating not being able to filter through the slow moving traffic or get all the way to the front at the red lights during hot days.

P.S. On the Vee, I only lane split when it has the side cases removed, otherwise it's too wide and I don't feel comfortable riding between cars. I always do it on the SV, though.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you try it in Massachusetts, they WILL try to kill you.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Bizarre. Most of Europe allow lane splitting, except parts of Switzerland, though I've seen idiots do it and for the most part lane splitting is mostly done in cities when traffic is stationery or very slow moving, that would be the only time I'll do it. I have in my past become frustrated with slow lane hoggers that I would enter a 'zone' and lane split, weave and generally risk life and limb at silly speeds just until the red mist clears, then calm down again. Lane splitting is a benefit of a scooter, motorcycle in cities, or what's the point?

·
Registered
153 Posts
here in Louisiana, it would be every pickup truckers duty it seems to block you or open a door if you try. Just the other day I was going to take my Wee 10 FEET (lg of his truck + distance between us on the shoulder to get in the turning lane. He pulled ONTO & OVER the shoulder to prevent it, then blocked the turning lane till the last moment and went straight.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Maybe CHP is reformulating their recomendations, lane splitting awareness is increasing here with frequent public awareness TV information adds,stateing that lane splitting is legal, I,ve seen at least two different spots in the last 4 weeks with the frequency of 3 a week or so.:hurray:I expect I,m a average viewer watching way to much TV.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Not sure of the guide lines the CHP doesn't use but I've been passed recentlywhile in the carpool lane doing 75 mph by CHP motor officers. They went by like I was parked. No emergency lights lit either.
Maybe they just like going really fast?

·
Registered
107 Posts
By and large, motorcycle safety programs are against lane splitting. Also, what's with traffic guidelines? Stopping for a red light isn't a guideline?
Reference? Of course motorcycle safety courses are against lane splitting in the 49 states where it is illegal. In California it is part of the rules of the road and a very viable way to get through stopped or slowed traffic.

Like every motorist in California I have experienced the idiots who lane split at 70 mph when traffic is moving at 40. I figure that 50% of the 5-10 "motorcycle down" reports I hear on LA radio every morning involve a dangerous lane-splitter paying the cost of their actions. But I split lanes when it is safe, typically with traffic going 10-20 and I will go through at 30. If traffic is stopped I will split going maybe 15-20. I have found that one of the more dangerous aspects of lane splitting on a bike are those other riders who are going too fast and come upon you either as you are about to enter the splitting lane or want to go faster than you are willing to go while you are splitting. The best lane splitting occurs when a CHP motor goes by and you can get right behind him. It is like the Red Sea parting.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
... In California it is part of the rules of the road and a very viable way to get through stopped or slowed traffic...
Actually, THERE ARE NO RULES regarding lane splitting in California. That is why it's legal and that is why they had to remove the guidelines from the CHP website - because they confused people into thinking they were rules when, legally, they were not.

But anyway, I see your point ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me lane splitting came easy when I realized it was much like skiing in the trees -- except of course these trees can move ?.

When I started lane splitting I would stop at 35mph. Now I find it's too easy to keep splitting not realizing you're pushing or doing 50mph. The cars are as grid locked at 45mph as they were at 20mph right...

insert pithy signature here ...

·
Registered
740 Posts
grid locked in motion?

When I started lane splitting I would stop at 35mph. Now I find it's too easy to keep splitting not realizing you're pushing or doing 50mph. The cars are as grid locked at 45mph as they were at 20mph right...
At any speed, cagers are prone to changing lanes when there is somebody in the next lane. For them, and the victim car, the penalty is rarely going to be worse than some bent metal and lost time. For a rider who happens to be near the collision (or near-collision), or coming up to it within a fraction of a second, the penalty is likely to be much worse.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Although lane sharing is not illegal here in Ca., under an officers discretion you can receive a ticket for:
Crossing over the dotted line (lane separation) without signaling
Crossing back and forth from lane to lane multiple times in a short distance
Stoping with the bike in one lane and placing your foot in the other

And for traveling at a speed unsafe under current conditions

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
California Highway Patrol - Community

Motorcycle Safety Information Update

Information regarding "lane splitting general guidelines" is no longer available.

A petitioner complained to the Office of Administrative Law that there was no formal rulemaking process for the guidelines, and raised other objections. The CHP discussed the issue with the Office of Administrative Law and chose not to issue, use or enforce guidelines and thus removed them from the website.

The underlying purpose of the guidelines was to provide common-sense traffic safety information.

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Creating a safer highway environment is the shared responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists alike.
This is achieved by staying alert and using common sense and courtesy while on the road. It is also important for motorcyclists to minimize their risks by riding responsibly, always wearing a helmet and other protective gear and to never ride under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants. Here are other important safety reminders:
- Watch your speed-a motorcycle collision is highly likely to cause injury or death
- Assume people in cars do not see you.
- Avoid blind spots in other vehicles, particularly large trucks

The California Highway Patrol also strongly encourages all motorcycle riders to sign up for the California Motorcyclist Safety Program, which is administered by the CHP as California's official motorcycle safety and training program. The Program offers courses for new and experiences riders. Find out more about the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.

Here are some of the guidelines for motorcycle lane-splitting that were removed from the California Highway Patrol's website:

-- Travel no more than 10 mph faster than other traffic - danger increases at higher speed differentials.

-- It is not advisable to lane-split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster - danger increases as overall speed increases.

-- Typically, it is safer to split between the No. 1 and No. 2 lanes (the lanes farthest to the left) than between other lanes.

-- Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather and lighting conditions.

-- Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

-- Don't put yourself in dangerous positions.

-- If you can't fit, don't split.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I thought the whole idea was to ride the white line. That way, your smack in the middle.
Technically it's lane sharing. Something to the effect of when two vehicles share the same spot in the same lane at the same time. Riding continuously on the raised bot dots and concrete crevasses at lane junctions here gets tiresome and twitchy.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Technically it's lane sharing. Something to the effect of when two vehicles share the same spot in the same lane at the same time. Riding continuously on the raised bot dots and concrete crevasses at lane junctions here gets tiresome and twitchy.
More on this here: (taken from the officer.com forum)

Legal in CA as long as it is done at a safe speed and not weaving between lanes while doing it. Driving at an unsafe speed for conditions applies to all motorists

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather,
visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the
highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of
persons or property.

so the motorcycles splitting lanes at 65mph or the ones that are splitting at 45mph when all traffic is completely stopped could get a ticket. The CHP website has a general rule posted about not splitting at faster than 25mph, but it is up to the discretion and opinion of each officer as to what is unsafe.

When changing lanes you are required to use your turn signal for 100 feet

22108. Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given
continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before
turning.

and you may not changes lanes until it can be done safely

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move
right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with
reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate
signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other
vehicle may be affected by the movement.

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following
rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely
within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such
movement can be made with reasonable safety.

these sections would apply to the motorcyclist weaving back and forth between lanes of travel.

As far as I know CA is the only state that allows lane splitting....... which should more appropriately be called lane sharing because you should be in one lane and only slowing moving past other vehicles.

And as to the original question....all cars stopped at a red light and a motorcycle rolling up between them I have no issue with that....no cars moving and a motorcycle slowly rolling up to the front is not unsafe even if it makes people in cars mad because someone actually got a few cars ahead of them it is not illegal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts