StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For gen'l info in case someone's thinking about chopping down a shield.

This used to be a 23.5" Cee Baileys shield. It was too tall (came with the bike), and I needed to lower it for the next cold season. It's now 20.5" tall (in the lowest position), and much more practical for my height. I also cut a vent in the nose of the shield to decrease backpressure (credit goes to MonkeyGrass).

I mounted it on the bike, then mounted the bike. Sighted in on a tennis ball I had placed about 50 ft. away on level ground, and pointed at it with my finger. Made a tiny mark on the shield where my fingertip touched the shield, then checked the sightline again.

I laid out my cutline, then used a strip of cardboard cut from a document folder to scribe the line. I used a large Tupperware lid to scribe the radiused corners and the nose vent. Dremel'd the cuts, then sanded with a Dremel coarse sanding drum, then handsanded with 100 grit, then 220 grit paper. Not sure what to use to polish the edges, but I'll think of something.

Took it for a spin. Quickly noticed this did not do anything to reduce buffeting; that wasn't my reason for chopping it (I run my chopped stocker [last pic] to eliminate that little issue). It did improve my eye position on the road, which was the reason I chopped it. I can now see 50 ft. and beyond without the top edge messing with my eyes.

Hope this helps anyone who might be contemplating doing the same thing to their shields.

·
Registered
135 Posts
to finish polishing go to 800 wet/dry (use it wet) and then go to 1500 wet/dry (wet again). If you need a better finish at that point get some Meguiars plastic polish to finish it off.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Thanks for the info, Bro!:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts