StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i m in kind of a dilemma guys..
Go for OEM top case vs Kappa Grada top case..

i tend to think that 35 liters for the top case are too few compared to the 52litres of Kappa

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
What do YOU want, makes little difference what anyone else wants. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
IMO oem cases are WAY overpriced.

I have a hard enough time with a 47L Givi, i would cry if i had to scale down to a 35L...

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Big B a tarty answer. True enough though. My Hardigg military box would hardly fit in any ones description of a classy back box!
You wanna look good or carry a lot of stuff?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm very happy with my Givi v46. We all have different ways of selecting equipment, for my top box I waited until the right size and right quality box showed up on Craigslist within my budget envelope; that said I'm tighter than bark on a tree so your experience may differ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed the Touratech top case last night. Function over form in this case! It matches (well pretty close) the panniers that I've removed for commuting. Not cheap that's for sure but if it's like the panniers it's bullet proof.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
i m in kind of a dilemma guys..
Go for OEM top case vs Kappa Grada top case..

i tend to think that 35 liters for the top case are too few compared to the 52litres of Kappa
I'm not familiar with either of those cases but have a general recommendation.
Get one that can be opened without the key! The first top case I had was the OEM for my K100, 2 latches to open and close, lock-able. Bought a Bestem for my Vstrom, assuming it would have the same operation. Wrong! And, I must say, what a PITA. I'd leave the key in the case and people would drive by me pointing at my top case, or if I was stopped pull up to tell me the keys were there...."Thanks!" :furious:
Granted I live in a rural area, I never take the keys out of my bikes or cars...so it's particularly annoying that I don't have the option not to lock my top case.
Unless you're paranoid about such things, get one you can open and close without locking. Much more convenient! :laugh2:

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
975 Posts
being a not-more-than-250 mile daytripper, the givi 33L worx great for me. sometimes i forget to remove the key, but i doubt anyone will attempt to grab it while i'm sailing along....

·
Registered
975 Posts
Granted I live in a rural area, I never take the keys out of my bikes or cars...so it's particularly annoying that I don't have the option not to lock my top case.
Unless you're paranoid about such things, get one you can open and close without locking. Much more convenient! :laugh2:
since 1971 my folks have lived in the blue ridge mtns next to a small church and a small private boarding high school. they have never locked their cars or the house or the detached one-car garage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another thing to mull over. Do you ever want to add lights? I am a fan of being visible and Admore Lighting makes lighting kits for several manufacturers cases. This was one of my requirements when looking for a top case.

Top Mounts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I bought the Bestem top case as well and i got the light kit and the interior liner to go with it. At the risk of sounding paranoid i do lock it all the time, but it's no problem for me. I figure a $500 Shoei helmet and a $200 Sena means taking the extra 5 seconds to lock it makes sense. But to each their own - i'm not saying anyone should lock theirs, just that i like mine.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
"IMO oem cases are WAY overpriced."

Another truth! Most folks are overly sensitive about appearance so have to be willing to supply the biggy bucks for beautiful.
My Butt Ugly Hardigg was only 20 bucks from the vendor. The shipping was $25. Still cheaper than the bargain basement JC Whitney top box....which shattered like glass when you subject it to crash energy.
Lots of folks are limited in tools and expertise when it comes to mounting or modifying things so they have to pay for work to be done. So the off the shelf items get bought.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Another thing to mull over. Do you ever want to add lights? I am a fan of being visible and Admore Lighting makes lighting kits for several manufacturers cases. This was one of my requirements when looking for a top case.

Top Mounts
Those look expensive for a tertiary company, considering the price of the box they go into.

I thought about it, but it would ruin the structure of the box, drilling holes is bad for humidity infiltration.

·
Vendor
5,439 Posts
sbeadg nailed it!

I have two bikes both with top cases. One a Givi and one a Shad.

The Givi requires a key to open every time.

The Shad allows the top case to be opened without the key if unlocked or requires the key if locked. I almost never lock it. Even unlocked it has a two stage release. Push a button to release a handle and then reach under the handle and pull a release. MUCH easier than going for the key every time.

Suzuki Hard Luggage - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
I have owned 2 Givi cases, but they are not worth the extra coin over the Shad cases, and the Shad don't need a key to be opened "as was mentioned". I prefer the Givi or Motech aluminum style boxes, as they fit the overall look of these bikes better IMHO......but you are gonna pay. I have not decided yet what I am going to do on my XT, it is down to the Shad or the Motech, either one will have a back rest for the wifey.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
although i wanted very much the oem to perfect match my side cases as well, and have one key all around, i ordered the kappa garda because i end up that the limited size of the oem one, 35l !! wouldnt be enough compared to the 52l of the kappa..

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I've had my eye on a shad sh48 top case but it's not something I can afford at the moment (just bought a new drz400s and dumping money into upgrading it)

I'll stick with my JCwhitney garage pro for another year, but it's not the quality of my shad saddlebags that's for sure!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts