StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the problem of a squeaking or chirping sound on acceleration? I dont think its suspension as if I pull the clutch no sound is made. Could the clutches be making any noise? The bike is a 06 with 14k on it. Thanks for the help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The only sound I've ever heard described as a chirp was due to a dry speedo sensor on the left side of the front axle. Pulling it apart and greasing it quieted the noise.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
The only sound I've ever heard described as a chirp was due to a dry speedo sensor on the left side of the front axle. Pulling it apart and greasing it quieted the noise.
Yup. This is the only place that "chirps" on our bikes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hear pinging sometimes. A while back I figured out that is was the two zipper pulls on my tank bag hitting each other in the wind. The madstad bracket makes a little noise on bumps too, similar to a chirp. The chain can make little squeaks at low speed under a load too, if it is worn out. Look for the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's probably the hampster wheel that resides inside the cases of a Wee:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
It's probably the hampster wheel that resides inside the cases of a Wee:green_lol:
Or in your case, the one between your ears.:green_lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
What does a chirp sound like?

I'm about to investigate a strange sound on my bike. It's a 'resonating' sound when accelerating, most noticeable if letting off the throttle after accelerating. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like the speedometer cable (but I take it there is no cable). It's a new bike with 1200KM on it. The dealer was no help when I asked at the first service. Is it likely that the speedo sensor needs greasing on a new bike or should I look elsewhere?

·
Registered
30 Posts
strange sounds

I had some strange chirping, squeeking, pinging coming from where the front cylinder header meets the rest of the exhaust. There is an 8 inch heat baffle that seems to be what was making the noise. I put a couple of metal hose clamps on it and it stopped. It was a very enigmatic noise to track down.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Question about these squeeks from the speedo cable? Is it a consistent thing or does it only happen between say 3K and 4.2K? My squeek seems to be very sensitive to engine speed and vibrations.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
No,silly goose, it's from the back tire when you put all your weight on the handlebars and shift into second.

·
Registered
21 Posts
chirp on accell

No,silly goose, it's from the back tire when you put all your weight on the handlebars and shift into second.

mine did this at end of long week's ride- chain was dry-a 'couple of links were even rusty -(yes I am ashamed)-but a little lube elimenated the noise.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My 08 wee did some chirping every time I switched gears; it only happened on this one day. The chirp only happened as I was backing off the clutch, and no; it wasn't my rear tire. The sound was almost electronic in nature...

·
Registered
335 Posts
The sound was almost electronic in nature...
Both my current V-Strom and SV650s made the same artificial squeeling noise upon hard accelleration.
Always thought it sounded like its coming from the clutch side of the motor.

I finally figured out it comes from the big 'S' on the side of the fairing.
:green_lol:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...]
I finally figured out it comes from the big 'S' on the side of the fairing.
[...]
Say what?
I saw the greenlol, but I have no idea what you mean; either you're joking and I don't get it, or you're serious and I also don't get it.
I don't like how this situation leaves me little choice as to how I should feel; please clarify it for me.

·
38,104 Posts
How could you miss the :green_lol:eek:r even consider the S could make a noise, posting while drunk again?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Amybody think there's a chance the chirpings coming from his cush drive rubbers?

My 13,000 miles 650 makes what I'd also call a chirping noise . Frequency dependant on speed but it doesn't seem to get loud enough to hear 'till maybe 25mph. AND...... it's only clearly audible when somethings along my left side, ( driveline side), like a car or close buildings ect. to reflect the noise back to me.
I've always figured it's the cushions... they are worn and sloppy, like a loose chain feeling.
dave

·
38,104 Posts
Reported chirping normally comes from a dry speedo sensor. Greasing it seems to be the cure.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Must be a Wee / Vee thing, because my Haynes insists that the speedo sensor for my K3 is on the left side of the engine - not up near the front wheel where my "chirping" is coming from (at least as far as I can tell from the rider's position).

Are the two bikes different in this respect?

·
38,104 Posts
The Wee's speedo sensor is on the front axle, independent of sprocket size changes. The Vee's is by the front sprocket and is affected by sprocket size changes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts