StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, yesterday was the first unofficial Canadian Chip Truck Run. The Shepherd and I started PMing about the chip truck idea. He mentioned that he had been to Killarney a few years back and had some great fish there. We'll, it didn't take long before we had arranged a trip. Sorry we didn't post it here but the plan was hatched and finalized on Wednesday night and we headed out Thursday morning.

Herbert's is actually a fishing company but they sell their fish, and chips, from a converted school bus on the dock in Killarney so they qualify.

Amazingly enough, I didn't have the presence of mind to take a photo pf the fish and chips (moron :rolleyes:). I'd rate the fish as an 9 out of 10 and the chips at 6-1/2 out of ten. The fish was excellent, nice lite batter, very fresh and done to a crisy brown....yum. The fries were good, cooked well but they were of the smaller variety and I prefer the big, chunky fries myself.

I would rate the ride as a 6 out of 10. We blasted out of Barrie, up the 400 and turned onto Big Chute Road and rode through to the White's Falls Road exit. Back on the 400 we rode up to Muskoka Road 38 and headed towards Bala. From there it was up the 632/Penninsula Road to 141 where we cut across to Tally Ho Swords Road. Up Tally Ho Swords to the 518 where we turned West, to the 400/69. Unfortunately, that was it for the fun stuff. It started to rain on the way back to Barrie so he put our heads down and blasted straight down the 400/69 home.

The two thoroughbreds, poised before the run.

Gas stop, 1/2 way up highway 69/400. (interesting restaurant for the location).

The Shepherd, sneaking off to lighten his load in hopes of picking up a little more speed.

Herbert Fisheries.

Smoked fish is the catch of the day? I guess our waters are in worse shape than I thought.

Inside the back of the restaurant, cleaning and filleting the day's catch.

Outdoor picnic tables and the view. To the left is the Herbert Fisheries boat.

The view in the other direction.

The ride up was "spirited' and we covered some of the route we took last weekend. Actual riding time was 7:24, with our average speed of just over 98 kph. GoogleMaps says the route is 715 kilometres but my Zumo said it was closer to 725, which matches our time and average speed.

Okay, 1 down, how many to go?

http://tinyurl.com/Killarney

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....You welfare guys kill me.
Hey, be careful, The Shepherd has a job....you could offend him with comments like that. As for me? I think I'll go out and sit on the deck for another couple hours before I decide what to do for lunch today.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Great ride yesterday, well minus the rain anyway. The fish and chips were really good and it was nice to get a few kilometers on my new tires.

Once again Heavy, it is always a pleasure to ride with a gentleman of such calibre....even if you were snapping pictures of me in dubious circumstances. Alas it didn't dawn on me to have my camera out since I've been known to take clandestine shots of people too.

Until next time, cheers !!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey, be careful, The Shepherd has a job....you could offend him with comments like that. As for me? I think I'll go out and sit on the deck for another couple hours before I decide what to do for lunch today.
Did I say welfare guys?? I meant welfare bums :mod2_oops:
Here's hoping for rain in Barrie....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds like a great idea for a run one of these days.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a great idea for a run one of these days.
Its already done, we need to move on to the next. Any suggestions?

You guys come up with the end point and I'll work on a route.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I'm headed to West Virginia on the Wee tomorrow for a week. I'll let you know if I find any good chip trucks there....:devil_70::D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Its already done, we need to move on to the next. Any suggestions?

You guys come up with the end point and I'll work on a route.
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a thread about rides for you only. It sounded like a good daytrip that I could do sometime. What was I thinking? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a thread about rides for you only. It sounded like a good daytrip that I could do sometime. What was I thinking? ;)
Have at it. I thought you were saying we should organize a group ride to redo this route. You obviously were thinking something other than what I was thinking, which, I think, is a good thing, isn't it? :cool:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think I might give that place a visit next week.
I never been to Kilarney
I'm off all week with the wife working and the kids at school so I have some time to myself.
Thanks for the info and good luck on your quest for the ultimate chip truck.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have a good ride SD, and let us know what you think. It was tough coming up with my ratings, since this was the first.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have a good ride SD, and let us know what you think. It was tough coming up with my ratings, since this was the first.
While touring the provice with my daughters hockey team one of the other parents and myself started rating the hockey arena's hot dogs.
Our rating system was broken down into the following groups on a rating of 5.

1. Hot dog preperation (Microvave low points, Rollers ,Grilled high points)
2. Bun type Type (plain, sesame seedn, poopy seed , freshness)
3. Hot dog to bun ratio. (the dog must fit the bun)
4. Condements. (extra points for fried onions, hot pepers etc)

Highest marks went to the Gretzky arena in Brantford last year.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.....Highest marks went to the Gretzky arena in Brantford last year.

Do I hear another destination possibility?

Maybe we need to broaden our search to more than chip trucks. Maybe it needs to be "counter food". You know, the stuff that you order and receive while standing at a counter.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Do I hear another destination possibility?

Maybe we need to broaden our search to more than chip trucks. Maybe it needs to be "counter food". You know, the stuff that you order and receive while standing at a counter.
Roadside hot-dog stands would allow for infinite choices :cool:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yummm......street meat.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roadside hot-dog stands would allow for infinite choices :cool:
Maybe we should limit it to counters that are semi-permanently anchored to terra firma?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts