In California

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do I have a chipped key? 2014 DL1000A

In California

I am not aware of any transponder in Suzuki bikes on the US platform. Take it to a locksmith (if you were here I'd help you out), they will be able to read it and let you know. It won't have one, that should just be P/N SUZ18 in the lock world, common Suzuki key.

Reactions: jimbo74

·
Premium Member
'14 DL1000A ~_/) ~ '14 GSX1300R
340 Posts
A new key is cheap and would not only provide you with a spare but also keep @meshylocksmith employed ... and give an answer ;)
Agree with the other post here - don't think they use the transponder keys in USA

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
No , our USA vstroms do not have a chip key. I have always gone to a local locksmith for spare keys, keeping a flat key copy in my wallet on extended trips from home in case I lost my ign key. On my 650 I had Givi side and top bags all keyed the same, carrying a flat spare in my wallet got me under the seat where I stored a spare Givi key for the luggage.

Wood Gesture Guitar accessory Font Art

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sweet. Glad to find out it's just a regualr key.

I have a 2001 Ford with a key with a fat head on it, and it has a passive anti theft system. It won't start without the programmed key.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
981 Posts
Another data point:

2011 650

I only had one key and bought a duplicate from one of those magic cnc machines at Menards. Cost me $25, but clearly no programming.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I have a question for you.

Do you have a tiny flashing red light on your ignition switch ?

I'm down under, we have chips in our keys, we also have the flashing light but I don't have anything to compare it to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm down under, we have chips in our keys, we also have the flashing light but I don't have anything to compare it to.

i don't know. bike isn't here.

·
Registered
20 Posts

A lockie will tell you. Visit your local locksmith, NOT that crappy Key Me machine you'll find in Big Box stores. The pros know what to do, keep it local to your community, that way the $ circulates in your area.

Reactions: 2thDr and Solarguy

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I've not seen a flashing red light on or near our ignition, on our 07 DL1000, 08 DL650, 12 DL650, or our 14 DL1000.
I've had keys made for them all at hardware stores and locksmith kiosks in shopping centers, never a problem getting keys made for about $5.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I've not seen a flashing red light on or near our ignition, on our 07 DL1000, 08 DL650, 12 DL650, or our 14 DL1000.
I've had keys made for them all at hardware stores and locksmith kiosks in shopping centers, never a problem getting keys made for about $5.
I assumed you guys would not get the flashing light that we get.

It looks like no light means no chip.

I will put that in the memory bank for future discussions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's what I sell most moto/ATV keys for as well, $5. There's so much difference in other countries with transponder technology implementation. Even some boat manufacturers these days have adopted this technology. But here in the US, only a handfull of bike manufacturers have implemented transponders.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I wonder how effective the transponder would be. First, someone would have to want to steal a vstrom. And you wouldn't have to start it to steal it, run it up a ramp into a pickup or trailer, and gone. I've never even bothered using the handlebar/steering lock on mine when out of town parked overnight in a motel lot. The key that came with my 2014 DL1000 is huge, first thing I did was get a copy made that fits in my pocket.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
It's the Australian government that insists cars and larger bikes have key immobilisers.

It has helped keep insurance costs down, the government doesn't know that know body would steal a Strom.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to try out my new blank key possibly tonight. Wish me luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts