StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in my cheap China levers off eBay. I went to install them with the stock Suzuki hand guards and they hit the upper section if the hand guards.
Any one else have this and fixed it? Can you just shim it up a bit?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The first thing to do is to swap the top and bottom pieces on the adjuster. That will put the biggest piece, the adjuster lever, on the bottom. Dis-assemble over a cloth in case the spring and ball detent pieces fall out as they probably will. Even then, I needed to grind the nut down a bit and add a washer under the plastic to raise it.

Somebody else said putting a spoon over the adjuster area dome up with the plastic loose and heating the area with a heat gun worked great. The springiness of the plastic brought it down over the spoon and formed a dome in the plastic to clear.

·
Registered
824 Posts
As gw said,
If you take them apart, be very, very careful not to lose the atom sized ball bearings that are held in the detents by equally tiny springs.
Look at the position of the notches on the upper and lower adjuster cams so you get them back together in the same position or your range of adjustment will be off.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just installed the levers with flipped adjusters, and it worked great. With a little care, I got the bolt and nut bound in the same direction so the bolt head doesn't have to interfere with the handguard.

My only concern at this point is tuning the clutch setting since it seems like there's not much throw in the lever? I'm getting some relatively hard shifts. Or maybe that small throw still has the same range effect on the clutch itself but I need to recalibrate the cable setting for it.

Of course, the brake lever throw is stellar.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Brian,
had the same thing happen when I did my lever install.
Adjusted in the garage and went for a ride with tools in my pocket-adjusted one more time and now it's back to normal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Brian,
had the same thing happen when I did my lever install.
Adjusted in the garage and went for a ride with tools in my pocket-adjusted one more time and now it's back to normal.
Yep. I sorted it out after work. I backed out the adjuster a bit and now it shifts in the right range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts