StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden cherohala skyway in east TN and west NC countless times. I love it! also the dragon is near by which is also very fun on a week day. Not as many slow ass harley riders as the weekend. You have to ride this great road to know what i'm talking about. please post and tell me if you like or dislike this road.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love it, although I'm only on it just to get back out of the woods from time to time. I usually stay on the forest service roads up in that area. I live about 20 minutes from the Dragon and go up there every once in a while too. Last time was coming back out from Parsons Branch Road. It's a great area for dual sport, as well as black top only trips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love riding that area too. My buddy and I rode all over east tn and west nc last summer. Absolutely fell in love with the roads. This may we are going back to that area instead of looking for a new area to explore.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
both roads are good the first time or two. but there are so many more roads up there that are safer. both Deals gap and cherocola attract newbys that consistently ride above their abilities. many riders up there are from flat, straight road states and just don't have the skills. they all contribute to a very unsafe riding atmosphere that attracts the law enforcement. pirates congest the area and turn a good road into a 15 mph parking lot. i could go on forever about my dislikes to that area...i prefer ANY road that intersects the BRP. ride them and you'll see the difference.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
both roads are good the first time or two. but there are so many more roads up there that are safer. both Deals gap and cherocola attract newbys that consistently ride above their abilities. many riders up there are from flat, straight road states and just don't have the skills. they all contribute to a very unsafe riding atmosphere that attracts the law enforcement. pirates congest the area and turn a good road into a 15 mph parking lot. i could go on forever about my dislikes to that area...i prefer ANY road that intersects the BRP. ride them and you'll see the difference.
Well said....+1

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Been on both roads. Like them. I wouldn't do like some people and spend my whole vacation on one road like I see some folks. They spend a long weekend at the Dragon and that's the only road they ride :confused: What ever floats their boat I guess.

There are defiantly better roads in the area, that are much less crowded but the SKyway has some great views :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Prefer the Cherahala over the Dragon. Rode it this year on a weekday morning. Only saw a handful of other bikes!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Both roads are open. Lost my 17yo son up on Cherohala during a thunderstorm. It was raining hard and he was the middle rider of 3. When I got to the other side in the sun the last rider said he hadn't seen him. Had to call home to the wife to see if he had left a message at the homestead and tell my wife we had lost her little boy. He was having visibility problems and parked and made a lean-to to get out of the rain. He showed up about 5 hrs later just as I was going back out on a search.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Both roads are open. Lost my 17yo son up on Cherohala during a thunderstorm. It was raining hard and he was the middle rider of 3. When I got to the other side in the sun the last rider said he hadn't seen him. Had to call home to the wife to see if he had left a message at the homestead and tell my wife we had lost her little boy. He was having visibility problems and parked and made a lean-to to get out of the rain. He showed up about 5 hrs later just as I was going back out on a search.
I can't imagine what you were going thru for those 5 hours. It would have been too much stress for me. I bet you didn't know whether to hug him or pop him up side his head. LOL!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's a crazy story! Holy Smokes....

I have been on Cherohala 2x. It's one of the roads I like the best, because it has spectacular views, and it's really easy to get into a nice rhythm on it. I also like that is a long road. I'm going back in a few weeks to ride as many, different twisty roads as I can each day!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Being from Florida, I suppose I'm easily impressed, but I found the Cherohala Skyway to be the most amazing 40 miles of road I ever experienced. The scenery, the quality and engineering of the road, the clouds floating by at eye-level...what more could you ask for? My son and I were there last June and I took about 20 trips end to end.

The Dragon was like a crowded public swimming pool warm with urine compared to the Skyway's undisturbed mountain lake feel.

·
Registered
569 Posts
When my 17 yo dissappeard, I wasn't too worried. He's an excellent rider and pretty level headed. I figured he had back tracked to the little town on the Tenn. side. He's quite the survivalist and built a lean too off to the side of the parkway. He was a little bent out of shape that day b/c he wanted to stay at the Dragon and didn't want to do a round trip through Cherohala. I figured he back tracked an went back through the Dragon. After drying out at an overlook, we went back to Robbinsville to the Phillips Motel and waited. After about a total of 5 hours I started back out to retrace my route. As soon as I turned on to Rt 129, there he was. I hadn't been really worried. I knew he would do the right thing. The worst part was calling my wife and telling her that her little baby boy was missing on the mountain. Actually she was somewhat reasonable.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The Dragon was like a crowded public swimming pool warm with urine

that's quite an image!! I've had good luck riding mid-week, and the camping worked out nicely. The hike to Huckleberry Knob on the Skyway can be terrific on a clear autumn afternoon.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
...The Dragon was like a crowded public swimming pool warm with urine compared to the Skyway's undisturbed mountain lake feel.
Great line!! :) I completely agree, the Dragon even if it was deserted wouldn't be a great "go fast" road, no sight lines. With the squids overrunning it, it's no fun at all. The Cherohala though is one of the great bike roads in the country.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Great line!! :) I completely agree, the Dragon even if it was deserted wouldn't be a great "go fast" road, no sight lines. With the squids overrunning it, it's no fun at all. The Cherohala though is one of the great bike roads in the country.
Interesting, more pirates there than anything else IMHO. The squids move along quite nicely, or they go over the mountain.....either way there are NOT in my way.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Interesting, more pirates there than anything else IMHO. The squids move along quite nicely, or they go over the mountain.....either way there are NOT in my way.:mrgreen:
Well, I was there in June 2010, when the landslide had closed it to through traffic. Some Harley guys there, but the overwhelming majority were sport bike guys. I guess it's different at "normal" times.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I roade tHe dragon, mid September on a weekday. Left Robbinsville in heavy fog at 9am in the morning. It broke outside of town and I did enjoy the ride, very few riders at that time although the speed limit is very restricted and enforced ( passed two motorcycle leos even at that time). Cherohola skyway was much better as well as the moonshiner (hwy 28 ). Many great roads throughout the area and I can see why many make this area a destintion. That time of year, mostly goldwing and harley guys.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I ride the Cherohala often, the place is a circus these days and that is a shame. I go anyway, but only ride it in the early morning or the evening before dark. That way I avoid 99% of the bar hoppers and street racers.

I've ridden many miles out west, love CO and such but, the SE is still my favorite. I've found that the roads around Ashville near 215 are less crowded and very nice. I head up through Cave Springs through Rome to Ft. Mt and then head to 68 and do the Cherohala on my way to the BRP stopping at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp Ground and then up to Hot Springs for a coffee break. On to the Marion, VA area up 16 if I have time. And loop back down on the BRP heading back home via the Cherohala or sometimes across 64 in GA. Thats my favorite area to ride in the entire US. I just did a 1400 mile loop recently and I still think I rather spend more days up there than heading out west. But, its nice to change things up every few years, I'll do Utah again some day. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts