StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked up the info on the Cheese Country Trail.....

It says it is about 50 mile in length....

Has anyone here ever ridden this?

I have yet to take my DL1000 off the street, is this trail a good 1st time experience.

Please rate on a scale of 1 (easy) to 5 (difficult)...

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Many many times on this trail, not on the Strom though. Never thought of taking it. Always has been on the Quads. Just sold both quads last week so--hey wait a minute, good idea!

From the quad experience I would think the Strom is surely capable of the trail. Rate at 1-2.
Have you ever been on the trail? They do have a speed limit that I think might be the biggest issue.

·
Registered
203 Posts
While I think the Cheese County trail is doable on the Strom, here is one I would like to see done on the Strom. I might rate this a 4-5. People will for sure look at you funny when you are on the trail.
I have been on it with the quad and it can be a lot of work on a machine made for that type of work.
Black River Trails
http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/forestry/atv.htm

·
Registered
319 Posts
While I think the Cheese County trail is doable on the Strom
:lol: It's doable on a Gold Wing, with ease..

As a former Monroe, WI resident, I can tell you all about the Cheese Country trail, since Monroe's the trail head..

Ok, it's railroad bed, it's got a 30 MPH speed limit, it's patroled heavily, and it's about as exciting as watching paint dry.. Oh, and it's dusty, there's horses on it, and it's like riding a really low speed limit road..

It USED to be fun, but some ruined it for all motorcyclists by ripping up some farmer's fields.

There are ATV club trails, but ONLY ATV's are allowed on these trails. Motorcycles are allowed ONLY on the rail bed. Yawn...

Don't waste your time. The good thing is that there's a ton of great roads in the same area. Some gravel, mostly blacktop, and tons of curves.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes you are right about a Goldwing. I guess I should have been a little more clear. I have just never seen a bike like the Strom on the trail. Since it is a RR bed what I should have said was, "yes it can be done, but why?"

I refer 4-5 to the Black River Trails.
Sorry and yes you would be bored.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also want to make it clear that if I sounded a bit grumbly about the trail, it's purely because it was a great system, great fun, and a great way to spend a Saturday morning. (ATV riders don't get up early :lol: )

It's now blocked from motorcyclists enjoying the fun part of the trail because some jackass ripped up someone's new alfalfa seeding, rather than ride on the trail.

I used to be a moderator at Dirtbike.com (now Motozone.com) and tried time and time again to get (mostly) kids to understand that when they go ride their bike on private property without permission, they're ruining it for everyone. But, as kids go, they don't understand, and then think that Joe Farmer and Joe Officer are just being assholes..

Someday, when they own property, they'll understand, but it'll be too late for those who don't. :cry:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I guess the answer is yes....

The Cheese Contry Trail would be an ok 1st off road ride on a Strom.

Who can point out other trails in the South East Portion of Wisconsin? :lol: :?:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm NOT trying to be sarcastic, but....
ANY gravel road is equal to the Cheese Country Trail. Actually, loose gravel will be much more of a challenge since the CCT is mostly limestone fines that are packed almost as hard as pavement.

CCT isn't offroad riding.. It's small interstate (flat,level) that has a low speed limit and is patrolled more than most actual roads.

Feel free to ride it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to ride it when I lived less than a mile from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts