StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

To check the oil level in the bike I believe that the owners manual says to start the engine and get it into operating temp., then turn it off and let it stand on level ground for 3 min.

???

Why can't I just let it stand on level ground and check it in the morning before I go for a ride? I know that following the two different procedures will give me different results,... ? Is it like a car, where what you are checking is all of the oil in the bottom of the oil pan?

What does everyone else do?

Thanks,

Benner

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe the reason for starting up then letting it set is to make sure you have oil in your filter (starting) then letting it set for a coule minutes is to let the oil in the engine drain back into the crankcase. This will give you a more accurate reading of what is available

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go through the drill of starting the engine and letting it sit after an oil/filter change. Once I have it, I only check the window on occasion. I have never had to add oil between changes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Benner, like you said, just check it before you go for a ride, after it's been sitting all night, same as you would with your car. Too easy!

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
Big Benner said:
Hey everyone,

To check the oil level in the bike I believe that the owners manual says to start the engine and get it into operating temp., then turn it off and let it stand on level ground for 3 min.
Longer than three minutes may give you a reading like you've over filled. If you want an accurate level, then wait three minutes, but a spot check when it's colder (or longer than three minutes) is fine for checking the color of your oil and if you've lost any (just don't worry if it looks too high)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts