StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if there's a mark on the stock brake pads to indicate when they are worn out. I saw in another thread the mention of changing when you reach 1 mm of friction material remaining, wanted to make sure that was accurate for a K4 650.

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Stock brake pads have a notch. When the notch is worn away, it's time to replace the pads. Pad material is glued to the steel backing plate so there are no rivets to worry about. Some material is enough. None is too late.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Just looking at the pads from the front of the bike will allow you to see the notches in the brake pad. Little grooves are what you are looking for. High light it with a flashlight. Brakes typically last 50K miles or so. Even more if you are a moderate rider.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Un huh

Just replaced my front pads last night at 45K. Probably had 25% left but I wasn't liking the way they felt so, on with the new ones. Feel is much improved and I am a happy camper. Have to ride about 200 miles in the rain tomorrow so we'll have ample opportunity to see how they act. If I only rode in good weather I wouldn't ride much now would I? :yesnod:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see tiny bits of grooves, but think I'm going to order new ebc pads just to be ready when it's time. Rear just got replaced with stock pads in the fall, about 43k on the bike presently.

Thanks everybody.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts