StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100 miles into a ride today we heard a clanking....

this was the culprit

The rear bolt was gone, could have been vibrations from the days ride or our one trip down a few miles of gravel roads. No matter either way, it was gone.

Two choices.... Take it all the way off and bungie it on the back and keep going or... put a similar bolt on. Just happened to have dropped these in my tool bag when I changed to black ones on Friday.

So... FYI a exhaust heat shield mounting bolt will work as a bolt to hold on your chain guard should you find yourself in this situation. You could take out the center one on the lower guard and have no issues. Or you could just drop a few extra metric bolts in your tool bag

·
Registered
168 Posts
Uhhh, we Cobalt Blue guys don't seem to be having this problem!

;0)

Stan Henley

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think you will find that as soon as you remove the "Save Me From My Own Stupidity" stickers, all vibration and loss of parts will cease...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you will find that as soon as you remove the "Save Me From My Own Stupidity" stickers, all vibration and loss of parts will cease...
Is that what those things are? I haven't read them yet. :smilielol5:

It's on my list of things to do, the mattress mate hates them and wants every single sticker, decal and "S" off. Soon....... but today was riding!

Replacing chain guard bolts went to the top of the list today!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
As foolish as some of you come across on this forum maybe you should keep the stickers in place :smilielol5:

·
Registered
278 Posts
When they put mine together they must have used some really good loctite. I tried to get them off the other day and couldn't for the life of me loosen them at all. Guess I don't have to worry about that happening with mine.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Don't forget to use the proper torque settings on those.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
When they put mine together they must have used some really good loctite. I tried to get them off the other day and couldn't for the life of me loosen them at all. Guess I don't have to worry about that happening with mine.
Same here, I nearly stripped mine (and yes, I was using a metric screwdriver) trying to get them out. Like concrete I say!

-GW

·
Registered
603 Posts
Absolutely! The remains of mine are sitting in some oil drum in Mexico. On the postive side, it gave me an excuse to buy a cool new metal one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Loose Chain Guards

2 days ago, found my chain guard off at the rear screw. Also found the left side reflector on front fendor halfway off, and ready to fall off. Guess I can bring in one of the exhaust screws in the store so I can find out the proper metric size.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 days ago, found my chain guard off at the rear screw. Also found the left side reflector on front fendor halfway off, and ready to fall off. Guess I can bring in one of the exhaust screws in the store so I can find out the proper metric size.
M6-1.00 x 12

·
Registered
122 Posts
My front one came out a while back and the guard got sucked up by the wheel. Could not budge the back one with the screwdriver in the toll kit. I had to use the little black rubber band the holds the tool kit in to hold the guard out of the wheel till i got home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
pain in the A%$ to remove/loosen the front screw/bolt to swing chain guard out of the way for chain-lube... remove both philips bolts---throw in trash.. go to Ace hardware, pickup two stainless metric bolts, washers and nylock nuts, degrease holes, thread them in from the inside.. use red loctite.. use stainless washers and nylock nuts... problem solved...pics available if needed.

S/B:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts