StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip I noticed my windshield wobbling. When I stopped, I found that the whole front fairing assembly had a bit of play. It took a while to find what was wrong, but WOW, watch out.

There are two bolts on the front of the steering head to which the main fairing assembly attaches. On my bike (2008 650) one of these had fallen out, and the other one was only finger tight! What's worse, the one that had fallen out, had lodged itself in a place where it limited the range of motion of the steering! Could have been a disaster.

Maybe someone at the factory forgot to put Loctite on these, :thumbdown: or maybe the prior owner had removed them and not installed them with Loctite. If it's the former, then this could be a problem on other Strom's, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I had it happen to me on the Strom Gathering ride. I can only blame myself as I'd had the bike apart to do repairs and straighten the headlight frame. I could have sworn I'd Loctited them back in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Happened to me, too. One of the bolts fell out and landed (and lodged) on top of the lower triple clamp. I could go straight, I could turn right... but not left. Took me about ten minutes of poking around on the side of the road to see it, then about two minutes to fix it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I had it happen to me on the Strom Gathering ride. I can only blame myself as I'd had the bike apart to do repairs and straighten the headlight frame. I could have sworn I'd Loctited them back in.
Ditto.

Recently serviced the bike and had the fairing off [unbolted it and moved it forward far enough] to do the air cleaner.

Went around all the Allen bolts twice, somehow missed to tighten the two main bolts holding it to the frame. :headbang::headbang:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
#2 is the bolt in question. Only one is pictured.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Remember there are two.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
On a recent trip I noticed my windshield wobbling. When I stopped, I found that the whole front fairing assembly had a bit of play. It took a while to find what was wrong, but WOW, watch out.

There are two bolts on the front of the steering head to which the main fairing assembly attaches. On my bike (2008 650) one of these had fallen out, and the other one was only finger tight! What's worse, the one that had fallen out, had lodged itself in a place where it limited the range of motion of the steering! Could have been a disaster.

Maybe someone at the factory forgot to put Loctite on these, :thumbdown: or maybe the prior owner had removed them and not installed them with Loctite. If it's the former, then this could be a problem on other Strom's, too.
This is a known issue that has been discussed several times previously. It happened to me as well, just as you describe. Another forum member DID have the loose bolt jam into his steering stem! He safely got the bike to the side of the road.

Here are the two bolts that are the problem. Suzuki does not use threadlocker on them. ALL DL-650 owners SHOULD remove them and apply threadlocker to them!

·
Registered
811 Posts
yes had the same issue as well, not only did they get the loctite treatment, but a small dab of coloured touch up paint on the side of the bolt head and frame aswell. doesnt do anything to stop it from coming loose, but makes it easy to check if the bolts loose or not

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Okay, you guys make me go look. I am lucky, on my '07 the bolts are nice and tight.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is a known issue that has been discussed several times previously. It happened to me as well, just as you describe. Another forum member DID have the loose bolt jam into his steering stem! He safely got the bike to the side of the road.

Here are the two bolts that are the problem. Suzuki does not use threadlocker on them. ALL DL-650 owners SHOULD remove them and apply threadlocker to them!

Man, this exact thing just happened to me this afternoon on my 2011 wee. This is REALLY messed up and REALLY dangerous. In my case the bolt fell into and jammed the steering stem, preventing me from turning left. It was very unnerving. My fairing has never been touched so it is definitely a factory issue flaw. Not only did one of the bolts completely back out and jam the steering but the other bolt was way loose. If this had happened last weekend while cruising various notch roads in the White Mountains, it could have been devastating.

Definitely check the bolts -- frankly, Suzuki should consider a recall on this since death could be a likely outcome of this type of negligence.

pmk

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Man, this exact thing just happened to me this afternoon on my 2011 wee. This is REALLY messed up and REALLY dangerous. In my case the bolt fell into and jammed the steering stem, preventing me from turning left. It was very unnerving. My fairing has never been touched so it is definitely a factory issue flaw. Not only did one of the bolts completely back out and jam the steering but the other bolt was way loose. If this had happened last weekend while cruising various notch roads in the White Mountains, it could have been devastating.

Definitely check the bolts -- frankly, Suzuki should consider a recall on this since death could be a likely outcome of this type of negligence.

pmk
You aren't the only member here who had that same situation happen to you. Do you remember, "Graywolf", (Not GrEywolf)? He had the same EXACT thing happen to him. The bolt dropped out, and into the stem area, preventing him from turning the bike.

Here is the photograph that was missing from my earlier posts.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hardly a recall thing to make sure your bolts are tight, I remove these anytime I am working on the bike, it allows you to remove the fairing in one piece

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I remove these anytime I am working on the bike, it allows you to remove the fairing in one piece
I'll try that the next time I do a service. I did check the bolts a few weeks back when replacing the spark plugs and TPS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts