Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed this after getting home from my commute an hr ago..

http://picasaweb.google.com/3dig71/DropBox?feat=directlink

Not good :mod2_eek:

Can anyone tell me if this is a common result of underinflation?

I was at 27psi (tire is Shinko 705 rated at max psi 33)

Or is there something else at work here.

I mounted these tires, and they were my first ever.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Wow. Are you sure you had 27 psi in there? I've never seen a tire do that, but it looks like it could have been caused by under- inflation.

Here is a quote from another forum regarding a crack at the mold line:

Well, when you pry at the edge of the mark, it starts to open up like a crack so what does that tell you? I called MC Superstore and asked if they had received any similar complaints of defective 705's and was told no. The guy did ask what pressure I was running and I said around 36psi - he said they had just gone thru a tire seminar with Pirelli and Metzler Reps and had been told to tell customers to run tires at the pressure listed on the particular tires sidewall. He said the Reps told them that for every # of pressure a tire is run under-inflated at speed, the tire temp goes up 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
that is not a crack at a tread block

that is ok, that is an impending tread seperation. get it off, and yes running real low could have made it worse. that one is unsafe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just checked the tire again, and its at 25psi (totally cold), probably lost .5 while getting several readings. So, granted, I was 8lbs under recommended..

My question: Is this kind of damage consistant with 8 lbs of underinflation?

If my matinence habits are questionable, I can accept that, and make adjustments.

Or is this a tire quality issue?

Empirical evidence suggests 8lbs underinflation severly overheated these tires.

My gut tells me, under the same circumstances, a "higher quality"
tire would not suffer the same deformation.

My brain tells me not to cheap out on something so important, and above all CHECK THE DAMN TIRE PRESSURES!

Either way, I consider myself lucky.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I called MC Superstore and asked if they had received any similar complaints of defective 705's and was told no. The guy did ask what pressure I was running and I said around 36psi - he said they had just gone thru a tire seminar with Pirelli and Metzler Reps and had been told to tell customers to run tires at the pressure listed on the particular tires sidewall. He said the Reps told them that for every # of pressure a tire is run under-inflated at speed, the tire temp goes up 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
A month ago I pumped up my tubeless wheelbarrow tire to the pressure on the sidewall and before I knew it, it blew up in my face. My ears are still ringing too. I know it's not a motorcycle tire, but I get uneasy inflating them to what's written on the sidewall.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I would suggest you buy the best quality tires that your pocket can afford. Personally I would not walk across the street for your brand of tire even if they were giving them away. A motorcycle offers no protection in a crash and with only two tires, to lose either will usually put you in the hospital if you are lucky or in the morgue if you are unlucky.:shocked:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ummm... I call shody tire manufacturing in this case...

I don't care if you are underinflated 10 PSI or overinflated 30 PSI, the tire should not fall apart like this! The burst pressure of the tire is usually like 200 PSI or something. Underinflation is sometimes desired offroad and this tire is supposed to be able to take it???

I considered Shinko after my stockers go but I am not anymore.

Which reminds me... as I brought my new Wee home from the dealer and checked the pressure few hours later - it was at 60 PSI!!

PS. I am not a tire expert, just play one on the Internet. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Ummm... I call shody tire manufacturing in this case...

I don't care if you are underinflated 10 PSI or overinflated 30 PSI, the tire should not fall apart like this! The burst pressure of the tire is usually like 200 PSI or something. Underinflation is sometimes desired offroad and this tire is supposed to be able to take it???
+1
That is a shit tyre it has nothing to do with under or over inflation and it should be removed from the bike before the bike is ridden any further to eliminate the risk of a total failure and consequent crash.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
WOW! That looks extremely dangerous! I would not ride another mile on that tire. Sever underinflation (and 8 PSI is pretty sever on a motorcycle) probably contributed tot he failure of that tire. Whether a "higher quality" tier would have fared better I can't decisively say. However, that picture is enough to make me seriously doubt that I'll ever consider buying a Shinko tire. Like Mortaine said, of all the places to scrimp and save a buck, your tires are not that place to do it. Those two little contact patches are the only things separating you from a ride on a cheese grater.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Defective Tire

That's a defective tire and dangerous to ride. I've ridden all kinds of tires (the full price and quality range) at all kinds of pressures and have never seen anything like this, so I don't think the pressure you're running played any part.

I know people love to hate 'em but I unknowingly ran my rear TW at much lower pressures blasting through west Texas down to Presidio and then to Terlingua. It not only did not disintegrate, but it also did not try to pitch me.
All I got was a little weave at 80+ actual. I'm running BW on the front and TW on the back. Really like 'em.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Defective

My vote is for a manufacturing defect, although I admit I've never seen anything like it regardless of tire pressure. Thanks for posting that photo, I'll bet quite a few Strommers have been considering that brand due to the low price.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was questioning

the folks at my usual tire store (cycle stop, knoxville Tn, cheap, fast, and don't scratch rims) they put more tires on bikes than you can count (not too many but some shinkos), and they have not had any trouble with shinko radials coming apart, (they are only purchased by young male sportbike riders usually on pretty crappy bikes... but I digress)

that is not to say they have been good either, they mounted a set of the 009 ravens (mileage sport touring) and they did not last on a honda st1300.

They have come to the conclusion that shinkos seem fine for lighter bikes, I asked if they had mounted any of the 705s and they have not yet.

your tire actually looks like poor prep of the caracas before molding. Air pressure at 27 should not have caused this separation, but if the prep was bad the extra heat would have made the bad prep show up quicker. It is coming apart like a bad recap. ( I used to work for McCreary tire, seeing this in car/truck tires was usually poor layup, bad compound or a vulcanizing mistake either time or temp)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Not a common result. I have had two front tires cup on me, and the general consensus was that I'd been running them under inflated (went with the recommendations on the bike's sticker). Boys at the shop tell me they have the best luck running tires at about 2 pounds under the rated max on the sidewall.

I'm no tire expert, but that looks like a manufacturing defect to me. I wouldn't ride it another inch.

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
My vote is for a manufacturing defect, although I admit I've never seen anything like it regardless of tire pressure. Thanks for posting that photo, I'll bet quite a few Strommers have been considering that brand due to the low price.
Yeah, that low price was probably starting to draw business from other established tire manufacturers.

I wonder if there's ever been a defective, Metzler, Michelin, etc. ?

Those Shinko's may be a lessor quality tire, but there sure are a lot of people on the ADVrider website who like them and apparently have not had that experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Stinkos on my DL650 and so far, about 1000mi they have been great. Great on pavement and pretty good on dirt roads. Front feels a bit odd sometimes on gravel roads with big chunky rocks; probably just the bike. I've seen some ugly pics floating around on the internet and it does look like a manufacturing defect to me. I've been running mine at 32-33psi. I look at them closely every time I mount up. So far so good, but those pics are scary. Jury is still out I suppose. My gut says they made some tires that sold well, very well and may have rushed the manufacturing process(poor set up, quality control?) on the later batches? Any other pearls of wisdom out there?

·
Registered
22,225 Posts
Noticed this after getting home from my commute an hr ago..

http://picasaweb.google.com/3dig71/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCISO0LrIhZaHwgE&feat=directlink

Not good :mod2_eek:

Or is there something else at work here.

I mounted these tires, and they were my first ever.

Thanks for the insight!

as already posted, defective tire, not pressure related, get is replaced ASAP

BUT don't pay attention to the hamfisted fear mongers unless your hamfisted yourself, there are no explosives in tires, that's only on TV and movies

flat tires do not cause crashes nor to catastrauphic failures, even mid corner scraping pegs @ 75mph, its hamfisted panic that causes crashes

if you have a problem, be prepared that you may have to pull over and stop and call for a tow:cool:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the informative responses guys, it would seem that the general concensus is manufacturer defect.

These tires come in 2 speed ratings, the ones I have should not be run over 99 mph. I stay off the highways for the most part anyway, and the tires never saw 80!

And to think I just did the Cascade hwy 20 last weekend!!

Also, the pic I posted doesnt show the true extent of the damage, there are large (half dollar sized) blisters forming near the cracks in between the nobs.

I agree, and have requested the company I purchased take these back and issue a credit towards some new Anakees. Will see if they see things the same way I do.

Needless to say, this tire will never see another mile!

S

·
0 Posts
Only because it hasn't been mentioned yet:

I've read that the age of a tire is a factor, too -that, and UV exposure will cause them to deteriorate in the long run. If you bought your tires from an online merchant who had them sitting around in stock for a long time (years)... maybe in a location in which sunlight was on them for many hours a day...

Not an endorsement of or excuse, just another possible explanation. Anyway, I think all tires have the date of manufacture (potentially in "code" form) molded in to them. Might be interesting to check when this one was made.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts