StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At 300 miles on a new bike I got a check engine light and the FI message. A quick internet search tells me that this is a fairly common occurrence, but I didn't find any real fix fix for the issue. The check engine light went away the fifth time I went through the start cycle and hasn't come back. Should I take it to the dealer or just wait to see if it happens again?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The unfortunate issue is that if the check engine light does not come on and stay on, the dealer may not be able to help. Dealers like to have a repeatable issue. Talk to your dealer, explain the situation, and next time this happens, do not turn the bike off, but ride to the dealer - keep the bike started, and have him see the bike immediately. Find out if the ECU keeps a log of issues. Electrical gremlins can disappear when the bike is shut off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Having the images helps, however knowing anything unusual that led to the appearance of the FI /check engine codes
are more valuable. It has been noted before that the system resets itself after a few driving cycles occur ( IF) there is
not a true problem. Being you have such a low mileage bike and have already had this occur. I would have the dealer
check all the electrical connections including the grounds and or any stored codes while in Dealer Mode.

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The unfortunate issue is that if the check engine light does not come on and stay on, the dealer may not be able to help. Dealers like to have a repeatable issue. Talk to your dealer, explain the situation, and next time this happens, do not turn the bike off, but ride to the dealer - keep the bike started, and have him see the bike immediately. Find out if the ECU keeps a log of issues. Electrical gremlins can disappear when the bike is shut off.

Good luck.
I was hoping the ECM stored the codes so they could be retrieved later. I was about 100 miles from home, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, when it popped up. Nothing unusual happened, I was cruising along about 65 mph on a beautiful, sunny day. I don't think I had enough fuel to make it to the closest dealer.

Having the images helps, however knowing anything unusual that led to the appearance of the FI /check engine codes are more valuable. It has been noted before that the system resets itself after a few driving cycles occur ( IF) there is not a true problem. Being you have such a low mileage bike and have already had this occur. I would have the dealer check all the electrical connections including the grounds and or any stored codes while in Dealer Mode.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'll do have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It seems from the masses of 650 owners of recent model years this issue is very isolated in nature. But it's good practice
to rule out anything warranty related with the dealer as soon as possible. The service record should be saved and stored away
safely for future reference. If it happens again ( without reason) The issue could possibly be in the ECU.

You do not want to be on the hook for this so let the dealership near you figure out whats wrong. If you frequently ride a good distance
from home , keep in mind in severe cases if shut off the bike may not start up again. In limp home mode it will run with the FI code on the dash.
The more severe case will not allow the engine to run. Then tow truck option...

·
Registered
85 Posts
At 300 miles on a new bike I got a check engine light and the FI message. A quick internet search tells me that this is a fairly common occurrence, but I didn't find any real fix fix for the issue. The check engine light went away the fifth time I went through the start cycle and hasn't come back. Should I take it to the dealer or just wait to see if it happens again?

I had the F1 light come on while travelling in the Sahara desert this past summer. I had done a lot of pre-maintenance to my motorcycle before leaving, and this was nothing short of shock and horror! I rode to a nearby gas station and shut the bike off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it started right back up with no F1 light on. That was on my mind for the duration of the trip especially stopping in the Sahara to take pictures and wondering if I would have an issue with it. But nothing ever came of it. Maybe I was Lucky...

·
Registered
705 Posts
There are a host of things that can cause this condition, Bad gas, Fuel stabilzer (too much of or too old), Electrical,
As in ECU, Harness connections, Battery connections.
Even periods of high speed and decelleration in gear can trigger this code. So it is a general code not just one
specific reason why. I personally have not had this happen on my bike with almost 2400 miles on it. I don't baby it
and make use of the power band when deemed nessesary. .

I try to store it when not ridden with a full fresh tank of gas and rarely use any stabilzer. I do ride in winter months
if above 50 degree's. So storage is not a real issue for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are a host of things that can cause this condition, Bad gas, Fuel stabilzer (too much of or too old), Electrical,
As in ECU, Harness connections, Battery connections.
Even periods of high speed and decelleration in gear can trigger this code. So it is a general code not just one
specific reason why. I personally have not had this happen on my bike with almost 2400 miles on it. I don't baby it
and make use of the power band when deemed nessesary. .

I try to store it when not ridden with a full fresh tank of gas and rarely use any stabilzer. I do ride in winter months
if above 50 degree's. So storage is not a real issue for me.

I had no idea bad gas or fuel stabilizer could be a problem that would activate the F1 light. My understanding was that it was electrical within the fuel system. Good to know!

·
Registered
705 Posts
If the engine stumbles ( cough - hickup ) what ever it can cause an error code to be generated.
Many times the issue will pass after a few driving cycles and the ECU will reset. ( code goes away )
but still stored in memory.

If the issue is a hard fault then the code will not reset and could result in a no start condition.

And Yes the ECU ( computer) controls the fuel injection which is monitored as long as the engine is running.

The FI is actually (fault indicator ) Not Fuel injection per say but a general indication of a fault in one or more
of the parameters monitored by the ECU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts