StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Nice to meet you all, I am new to this forum. I've got a 2007 Dl650 ABS model. Since last week the motorcycle has ran into some troubles: A CHEC notification started appearing on intermitting basis (but increasing in length) in addition to stalling before traffic lights (also increasing in frequency). When stalling the RPM seems to slowly waddle down to 800 RPM, and eventually stop, after a restart runs like new with normal idling speed (~1300).
I've tried to put it in dealer mode to read out the code, but all it reads is -C00. (with the stripe in the middle). I read a lot about TPS and the exhaust sensor failing, but I think that would give a FI code.
I am concerned about the bike since the notification and the stalling is more frequent. Does anyone have a guess what could be wrong? does this sound like a specific problem to anyone?

Kind regards,
Boyd

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Does your clutch switch work as it should ?

If your bike will start without pulling the clutch leaver in the switch is not working as it should and can cause the bike to stall.

The check is ignition related so check your battery leads are clean and tight, they work loose on bikes and unlike a car the bike will still start.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If no codes are being generated (C00) then something else is triggering the Chec to
display on the dash. Look at the safety switch on the kick stand and the engine stop
switch on the throttle housing and the clutch lever switch. When the Chec is on the
display means something is not correct. Do some verification.

·
Administrator
6,356 Posts
The C00 no fault code means that something did occur but corrected itself. An intermittent fault.
Look first at what RestoRider suggests. I can remember, for instance, a weak side stand spring causing the engine to stop when the bike hit a bump on the road. Another guy was somehow unintentionally resting his boot heel on the side stand.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The TPS and the clutch switch are the two main causes of failure to idle properly on a K7 or later 650. The clutch lever position is read by the computer.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I think that the reason for the Chec display, is due to the bike cutting out while in gear. My advice is to place the bike into dealer mode and leave it in this mode for the duration of your ride. If any code is displayed, other than C00, hopefully you should be able to catch it. As far as the stalling, have you done a TBS (Throttle Body Sync for DL650(A)K7, A How To) or checked the TPS (TPS setting, what's the skinny?) ?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
It's not a switch. The OP reports
"When stalling the RPM seems to slowly waddle down to 800 RPM, and eventually stop, after a restart runs like new with normal idling speed (~1300). "

·
Registered
693 Posts
I kind of agree that the slowing rpm down to 800 and then stalling, but after restart runs and idles fine-
I assume with just hitting the starter button and touching nothing else is a mystery. I might lean
more toward a fueling issue, possibly even fuel pump or filter related. Even a super dirty air filter.
OP needs to check some things to bring out the culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for thinking along. Just checked the battery leads, they seem tightly secured. the motorcycle doesn't start when not pulling in the clutch, so I guess the clutch switch is not the problem either.
Also just bought some fuel injector cleaner in case it's something in the injector system (cheap solution, so I thought it couldn't hurt) and let it run for about half an hour. Still no changes in the -C00 notification, only thing is the - bar seems to rise to the upper level when reaching 3200 RPM, which according to the referenced TPS setting post is pretty high (normal 1600 or 2500), maybe there is the problem?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Chec means the instrument panel not communicating with ECU. Start-stop switch, start interlock or wiring before any sensors etc.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I would check the big wiring loom connector on the left side behind the fairing to make sure there is no corrosion or burned contacts.
Does the bike have headlight relays installed?
And then there are vacuum leaks to consider, hoses and caps with age (and temperature?) may leak. That may effect the idling.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Leaks in any of the rubber hoses (vacuum lines) or caps would create a lean condition.
This will wreak havoc on the Fuel injection system. But should set a code.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Thanks so much for thinking along. Just checked the battery leads, they seem tightly secured. the motorcycle doesn't start when not pulling in the clutch, so I guess the clutch switch is not the problem either.
Also just bought some fuel injector cleaner in case it's something in the injector system (cheap solution, so I thought it couldn't hurt) and let it run for about half an hour. Still no changes in the -C00 notification, only thing is the - bar seems to rise to the upper level when reaching 3200 RPM, which according to the referenced TPS setting post is pretty high (normal 1600 or 2500), maybe there is the problem?
Not really a great idea to let the bike idle for 1/2 hour if that's what you mean. Can foul the plugs, and you could get something called cylinder washing, where a rich idle mixture removes oil from the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would check the big wiring loom connector on the left side behind the fairing to make sure there is no corrosion or burned contacts.
Does the bike have headlight relays installed?
And then there are vacuum leaks to consider, hoses and caps with age (and temperature?) may leak. That may effect the idling.
Mine used to code if I was hitting it hard uphill at 90mph plus. It was a cracked plastic vacuum cap between the cylinders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts