StromTrooper banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Wee-Strom
388 Posts
Half gallon of water always with me. Can be used as a fair weather daypack. Has a small pocket and shoulder strap. The cover gives a little thermal help. I couldn't find a free container with exactly the right shape I wanted. It fits that nook like it was made for it, atop my 10lb tool kit.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Fuel tank Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gel pad under the Sit & Fly. Gets it up there with a custom seat.

Cricket bat grips over the bike ones. Old hands appreciate the extra size.

A strip of rubber and self adhesive velcro to create a cover for the ignition key.

Same velcro on the supports for the bars and on the back of my keyring. No more keys bouncing around when I ride.
Can you explain on the velcro?

Maybe a picture.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

As requested. My wife's CTX rather than one of my DL's as that was already outside in the sun. Needs a bit more work with scissors on a DL but essentially the same. Just a strip of rubber sheet cut to size, self adhesive velcro on the triple clamp and on the back of the rubber sheet to hold it in place. This won't work on all bikes, some have the ignition switch raised, but most it does.

Bonus pic - the "stop my keys and garage opener bouncing around" Same type of velcro on the bar supports and on the back of the opener, just press the opener against the velcro and TaDa !, magic happens and the garage opener is very conveniently located. You can do that without the velcro but one day you'll get home and 'oh, wonder when that fell off', That's survived days of hard riding off road, it looks weak but is extremely effective.

In this case, the rubber cover started to crack after some years in the sun, repaired with speed tape that was in the garage so it looks a bit wrinkly.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Gel pad under the Sit & Fly. Gets it up there with a custom seat.

Cricket bat grips over the bike ones. Old hands appreciate the extra size.

A strip of rubber and self adhesive velcro to create a cover for the ignition key.

Same velcro on the supports for the bars and on the back of my keyring. No more keys bouncing around when I ride.
Where can l get cricket bat covers in Canada? Any photos of them to get a better idea of them.
Do they wrap around like tape?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Try eBay. "cricket bat grip" gave me lots of hits in Australia but it is a popular sport in most of the former English empire. ~$10 each here which is really good value compared to say grip puppies and for me they last better and work better. The slightly larger and better padded grips I end up with are very welcome for my old hands.

Single piece rubber and exactly the right size to fit a bike which is why they are so good. Problem is install, I have compressed air and generally get them on with a combination of blasting air underneath with a dust gun and an amount of swearin and cussin. You can also buy grip cones which in theory should allow you to roll the grips on.

You get both motorcycle grips easily from one bat grip. Be careful cutting them, size them against the bike as it's slightly less than half needed each side. it also needs to be a clean cut or they can tear. I use a pair of industrial shears I have in the garage but GOOD kitchen scissors will work.

They last around three years for me and seem to store O.K., given freight MAY be an issue, maybe get more than one, that gives you some coverage for screwups as well.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Try eBay. "cricket bat grip" gave me lots of hits in Australia but it is a popular sport in most of the former English empire. ~$10 each here which is really good value compared to say grip puppies and for me they last better and work better. The slightly larger and better padded grips I end up with are very welcome for my old hands.

Single piece rubber and exactly the right size to fit a bike which is why they are so good. Problem is install, I have compressed air and generally get them on with a combination of blasting air underneath with a dust gun and an amount of swearin and cussin. You can also buy grip cones which in theory should allow you to roll the grips on.

You get both motorcycle grips easily from one bat grip. Be careful cutting them, size them against the bike as it's slightly less than half needed each side. it also needs to be a clean cut or they can tear. I use a pair of industrial shears I have in the garage but GOOD kitchen scissors will work.

They last around three years for me and seem to store O.K., given freight MAY be an issue, maybe get more than one, that gives you some coverage for screwups as well.
I couldn't find it just now but I've seen a "how to" on installing a cover on a cricket bat. It involved turning the cover inside out. then sliding a string through it. Get it started and pull the string to roll it on - right side out.
EDIT:
Found it but it was done with a shopping bag, not a string.

Reactions: jarz21

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I've seen experts doing grip changes on bats, takes seconds but there the end of the bat is on the ground giving them a huge advantage compared to bars. I've also done it once using a bat cone both sides, and that only took minutes in total - but I've never been able to repeat 'easy'.

Usually a 5 minute struggle each side for me, if you do come up with easier I'd be delighted to know a method that works on a bike. Given I only do this every few years and the things just plain work I don't find that intolerable, just annoying :).

Also note that they come in a variety of colors and grip patterns and for me, ripple patterns wear better than cleverer and more grippy patterns like octopus. Same comment made by friends of mine who play the stupid game ;). They also don't mess with heated grips to any noticeable amount.

They don't tend to actually fail for me but the 'grippy bits' wear down eventually and that's why I'm replacing them.

Actual grip on the bars is a LOT better than either Suzuki or Oxford grips as well, I highly recommend this if you ride in wet conditions.

Edit:
I'll try the bag trick next time, note though how he could put the bat on the ground and really lean on the handle ?. I hope it works because it certainly looks easier than my current method.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
"About the same as a bike grip" :). Main advantage over other grips is that cricket bat grips are the same width all the way down. The multiple colors and textures available just a bonus.

Best I can find was from a company that makes bats. 4 piece cricket bat handle (Horrible site, links everywhere)

Small 27mm, standard 29mm, large 31mm, ultra 33. Bike appears to be ~30mm, mine all have covers :), but that one is easy to check.

Apparently you can also get thicker than normal covers as well.

·
Registered
'02 DL1000
14 Posts
Where can l get cricket bat covers in Canada? Any photos of them to get a better idea of them.
Do they wrap around like tape?
I installed Grip Puppies at the start of last season and honestly don’t know how I last 23 years of riding without them. I’m guessing they’re similar to cricket bat covers?

The Original Grip Puppy Comfort Grips https://a.co/d/1esefe7

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
They are. Grip puppies are thicker though, if you mainly have problems with vibration they can be a good solution.
I did buy a pair years ago, I didn't hate them but I didn't like them enough to replace them when they wore out.

The cricket bat grips are a lot grippier and not a foam and as a result more usable in adverse conditions (heavy rain, off road).
Come in multiple color and texture options
Thinner so the grip overall fits my hand better
They last longer than the grip puppies did
They hold on to the grip underneath better than grip puppies do, particularly with age.
< 1/2 the price. (Here in Oz which is cricket mad anyway). I think last time I got some I paid ~$20AU for a pack of 4. Which is 4 complete sets of bike grips.

Downside:
Bastards to install, though from memory the grip puppies were no picnic either.
Not as good at damping vibration as grip puppies (but they do have some effect there).

It's just a lucky coincidence they fit bike grips, but a lot more people worldwide play cricket than ride bikes and the grips only last a season or two in that use so there's a big market (which means price is low) and it seems swinging a cricket bat is harder on the grips than riding a bike so they last even better in bike use.
YMMV but I really like them, a bit more comfortable and better grip on the bars than OEM or even aftermarket grips.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts