StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to save a buck or two and it isn't working so far. been pricing givi parts (luggage and engine guards) at local dealers in vancouver area and it seems nobody will move off the suggested retail price. i get the impression of take it or leave it. ordering from the U.S. would probably cost as much or more after taxes, duties, shipping and handling. are there any canadian outlets that offer a little more reasonable prices. i am all for keeping the economy going but i live on a pension and do have to watch a little more closely than before. i also want a suzuki gel seat and might have to bite the bullet on that one. any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

05 / 650 in blue

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Did you go back to the dealer where you bought your bike? They'll often give you 15% off as a "good customer". I lucked out yesterday, I bought a 2006 DL1000. I was wandering around the parts/accessories area drooling at the goodies and saw a set of dusty Givi sidecases sitting in a corner. They told me the cases came off a recent trade-in and they were going to clean them up and sell them. I said I'd save them the hassle of cleaning them and offered $100.00. After a little haggling, I walked out with almost new cases for $125, including tax. Nice score for me. Good luck with your shopping, there's deals to be had, sometimes it just takes some time (and/or luck) to find them.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At present I am waiting for a reply from dealer where I bought the Wee. When I e-mailed them i got an immediate reply that they would get back to me with prices. I also made a personal appearance at another shop where I bought helmets, jackets, gloves and a 28 l kappa top case last year. I left with a slightly bad taste in my mouth. Sort of take it or leave it, that's the price. Same thing from another shop that I went to. They know I am a serious buyer, I give them a printed list of the accessories I want. Easily two grand and then some. But I will be patient, we got over a foot of snow last nite and I won't be touring soon.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
check out the Shad line of hard bags

I got a set of 42 litre side cases and the mounting hardware for 500 clams including Steven Harpers share.

You can get them from MotoVan, but has to be ordered thru a dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheap skate

I thought about Shad luggage but their side bags would probably be a little too large for my tastes. I like the Givi E36N's because they are no higher than the pass. seat level and a smaller case would not allow me to pack enough to bend the frame. Thanks for the input, am waiting for replies for Givi luggage. Shad will be a good second option if Givi is too costly here. Decisions decisions decisions, what will I do ???

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
FYI, the Shad, even the large side bag does not come up to the seat level.
I can send you pics of my Wee with bags installed if you like.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you RCACS. I would appreciate the pics. Can you post them for everyone ? If not can you e-mail them ? Being a somewhat newbie and all, I am really un-educated with all the options. This forum has helped me beyond my wildest dreams. In fact until last November I did not know about forums at all. I got my computer in November and tripped over this site by accident.

[email protected]

keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I will forward you a couple of pics, as I dont know how to post pics to the forum.
If anyone else wants them, let me know and I will send to your email addy.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shad Luggage

Thanks Rcacs, got your pics, looks like a viable option. Oh decisions decisions. What will I do ? lol.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good morning Heavy. Thanks for the article. The writer seems to be a little more adventurous than I am. 180 kph is a tad faster than I want to travel at this time of my life although I had a GT 750 that would go that fast in third gear. Sounded pretty wild and the smoke screen behind me was hard to believe. Shoulda kept that bike longer but I have never been known for smart decisions.............. Back to the write-up. What he says about the bags is possibly very true. What I do wonder about is the little rack for the top box. Shad supplies a mounting plate could very well be mounted directly to the factory rear rack. That said, I am going to inquire about Shad luggage. They can't be all that bad. Later dude.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
water warrior said:
That said, I am going to inquire about Shad luggage. They can't be all that bad. Later dude.
I hope they're not that bad. I have a top box and brackets on order for mine. :D

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rcacs e-mailed a couple pics of side bags on his Wee. Looks good so I am looking into Shad luggage. The local Yammer dealer will have a price for me on Saturday.
I am asuming the brackets are for side bags and not for mounting the top case in any way. Is this correct ?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to you Heavy. From what the catalogue says the SH46 top case comes with a mounting plate which I have assumed would attach to the Wee rear rack. The extra piece(tubular top master)would seem redundant to me and just added hardware. There is the possibility that it provides extra support at the rear of the case which would be an added bonus. Can you add anything to that thought to clear things up ? The added price would be nothing to speak if it is necessary. I am liking the idea of the Shad products, their prices make a lot more sense to me. After pricing other lines I was starting to wonder why it isn't mentioned more often on this forum. Of course it could be that it is not readily available state-side or even sold there. More food for thought.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to you again Heavy. Just read the fine print. In my haste I missed the explanation so clearly described for the foolhardy and unfortunates. That does sound reasonable and acceptable. Thanks for bringing that up. I do appreciate when folks watch out for me and make my life easier.

And what keeps you up so late at nite ?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
By using the tubular top mount, you then have the ability to quick-release the bag from the bike.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
water warrior said:
Thanks for bringing that up. I do appreciate when folks watch out for me and make my life easier.
We're in this together. You'll help me out some day.

water warrior said:
And what keeps you up so late at nite ?
I think something was screwed up with the forum's clock. Your post says 4 AM. I can't remember for sure but I though I posted my message around 8 PM, or something.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Heavy. We could be in an alternate universe or the clock is goofing on us. The clock said your post came through a few minutes after 2 A.M. And actually it did. I posted back to you about 4 A.M. Don't ask me why I was awake, it is a long boring story.
On to my ongoing quest for luggage. IT IS DONE !! Checked a day ahead of time with local Yamaha dealer who was working on a price on the Shad line. He came in a little less than suggested retail and I figured what the hell, "GET IT OVER WITH" It is done, made sure to include the extra hard ware for the top box removal. Just have to wait for the hardware to come from somewhere. The bags I gather are somewhere in the general area here. He is also pricing out Givi engine bars and a Suzuki gel seat. I had my brain locked into Zuk dealers and missed the local motorcycle dealer altogether. I am learning bit by bit.
Special thanks to everyone who has watched out for me, cheered me on and helped me with info from their trials and errors and successes. Now I better start on polishing my tools and technique.
Dressing up the Wee is a great project and the SO and I hope to ride as much as time permits. With the help from the STROMTROOPERS it will happen.

RIDE ON.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts